Question about return pump

chadfish

BRS Member
I have a Jebao DCT-1600 that I run at 1/3 power. I also have a Eshopps overflow (drilled) and a gate valve to tune the system.

Lately, my overflow box has shown a very variable water level. Sometimes the water will be really low and sucking air through the stand-pipe in the morning and then very high in the afternoon and overflowing into the higher secondary overflow pipe.

I’m thinking this is an indication of variable flow from my return pump. Is this generally the case, and is this a sign of age?

If not, what the heck is going on?

Thanks

How old is pump? Have you done maintenance to it recently? Also an observation, I've noticed with recent high demand on power grid, my apex tells me I'm getting low voltage. Don't know if that would effect pump output.
Also any chance you are getting a build up in plumbing or even an animal such as snail or crab that affects flow?

I think it might due to something is clogging the return line, like a snail or something got inside the drain pipe.

How old is pump? Have you done maintenance to it recently? Also an observation, I've noticed with recent high demand on power grid, my apex tells me I'm getting low voltage. Don't know if that would effect pump output.
Also any chance you are getting a build up in plumbing or even an animal such as snail or crab that affects flow?
The pump is of unknown age, I bought it used from a reefer in 2020. I perform regular maintenance (break down, soak in citric acid every quarter or so) but it is due. However, after checking the return line for wayward snails, I have a suspected problem: a kink. My return lines are hoses. Time to replace them and add a bend guide to avoid any future kinks.

Thanks for the help. We’ll see how this goes, I’m thinking I’m going to significantly reduce the operational back-pressure given the gunk building up in these hoses.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back