question about star fish?

paul.k

Non-member
i got a couple of gift certificates for lovely pets in Quincey and Skipton's and i was going to go to lovely pets tomorrow after my hockey game. i was wondering what would be my best choice for a star fish my tank has been running for about 5 months.

Serpant stars if anything.

Brittle stars (green) are cool but can grow to be fish eaters.

Linka's and formia's (pardon my spelling?) don't do well in newer tanks.

chocolate chiped and other large 5 arm ers are usually coral eaters

serpant stars are really cool. They don't hurt anything, and when you put food in the tank they often come runnig (it's hard to picture a starfish running, but trust me, it's cool).

Hold off on any blue or orange linka type stars, they need a well aged tank to get the right food.

I love my serpant(Not Green). I really can not see not having one. I have fish that sleep on the sand and he never bothers anybody.

They are great at eating left over food but even more important, if a small fish dies behind the rocks he will most likely eat it and it will not pollute the tank.

>formia's<

Many have called Fromia's cut flowers. Nice to look at, but in a tank will not survive more than a few months. I think I'll do a poll on Fromias.

>I love my serpant(Not Green). I really can not see not having one. I have fish that sleep on the sand and he never bothers anybody. <

For the commonly available serpent stars I think it is only the green one (Ophiarachna incrassata) that will sometimes catch fish. They make a little cage under themselves and wait for a fish like a bottom dwelling goby to swim into the 'cage'. Ophiarachna incrassata can grow quite large, and FWIW, if you have a pair (not sure how the sexing goes here) they can breed and have babies in a tank. The babies can actually mature in a tank with no significant extra effort. There was an article about them a while back in one of the aquarium magazines (not on-line).

If you are looking for a 'true' starfish I might suggest the Linkia multifora. I picked one up in the last group buy the Brendon did on inverts and the thing seems to be doing well. Certainly not as flashy as the red, blue, or recently seen purple Linkias. My Linkia multifora dropped an arm in the tank, and I later saw the arm crusing around by itself. I think it's reforming an entire body, though I've not seen it in a while cause it's hard to find in a 400 G system. My Linkia multifora looks like it's getting ready to drop another arm as the center of one of the arms is turning blue, like the tips of its arms.

Found this in a really quick search:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k628771q514g3211/

Abstract The asteroid Linckia multifora (Lamarck) reproduces by autotomy of arms. Seven phases are recognized in its asexual reproductive cycle (autotomized arms; comets; counter-comets; post counter-comet I, II and III; and disc-parents). Individuals of the comet phase represent the highest percentage for population samples collected throughout the year from several sites on Guam, indicating a continuous asexual reproduction through which populations of L. multifora are being maintained.

Here is also a Really great article on starfish by Rob Toonen (we had him out here to speak last year):

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/toonen.htm

Scientists are now calling these Sea Stars instead of the old name starfish. I would agree with the serpent star. In a more mature tank, aisternia stars are often found, but don't get too big. I have several of those and could give you a few. They are detrivores and eat algae.

The more colorful linkia's are beautiful but don't last in the newer tanks as was stated. When you buy at the store, tell them how old your tank is. At skipton's they will advise what not to get usually. I don't know the other place.

Good luck.

Back