Question for successful macro algae growers

gurumasta

Senior Moron
I cannot grow macro algae and never have been able to. I have 0 phosphates but I do have around 7 mg/L Nitrates. I have a small amount of hair algae growing in my frag tank where there is no cleanup crew so I feel like my chaeto should be growing.

I have an LED grow light that I bought off of amazon and I wonder if this is part of my problem. Its similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/132Leds-Spec...542560355&sr=1-24&keywords=led+grow+light+130

Is that light junk? What do you guys recommend for an upgrade on lighting on any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I would say add another meal of pellets/flakes per day to the tank. They’re higher in phosphate than nitrate. Option 2 is dose phosphate to the tank. Should also add a regimen of iron to see if it helps out.

I had trouble at first then I started dosing iron, now I harvest two to three gallons twice a month. Plus I have control over evening ph by adjusting fuge light intensity.

I bought a special LED grow light off amazon as well and my cheato would not grow at all. Then I just threw in a cheap 5000k daylight led bulb from home depot and the growth was explosive. It has grown substantially in under a weeks time.

I did a bunch of reading and this seemed to be the conclusion of many other people as well. It doesnt hurt to try at least

Which special grow light did you buy off Amazon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for input!

I will try out dosing iron and post my results. If I don’t have luck with that I will switch to a different light as well.

Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back