Raising ph

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
After getting a new controller with a ph probe I realized my ph is low. 6.9. From what I have read mid 7’s to 8 is best for sps which I have alot of. Im dosing seachem 2 part at 1 cap full a day but seems like its not bringing up my levels atall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All my corals are growing fine and not showing any negative signs currently.

Do you have another way to test? Double check? If all corals look healthy I wouldn’t be two concerned. On the other hand, If you open your windows or maybe run outside air to skimmer this will help. Another couple of things you could look into is Kalkwasser or co2 reactor or maybe more surface agitation.

Yeah, I’d start by running an airline from your skimmer up out of the cabinet (assuming it’s enclosed) this will also help muffle any noise coming from the skimmer.
Does your 2 part use Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Carbonate? The former will not raise your pH as much as the ladder

Outside airline bumped avg pH up by at least 0.2 for my tanks connected to outside air. DC skimmers with air full open, adjusted by height and DC pump. Refugium helps as well.

6.9 seems low. Is your tank in the basement? Probe calibrated?

6.9 is awfully low, I’d look for another way to test it to confirm. But fresh air is really the key for PH

I was getting a false high reading from my controller ph probe, after calibration it is reading much closer to normal range.

Yeah, I’d start by running an airline from your skimmer up out of the cabinet (assuming it’s enclosed) this will also help muffle any noise coming from the skimmer.
Does your 2 part use Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Carbonate? The former will not raise your pH as much as the ladder
I use reef fusion which uses carbonate i believe

Which one? I looked but had trouble finding one that seemed good quality for price
Sorry - I have the Hanna pH pen. It’s simple , not sure about the temp compensation because the temp is way off, but the pH seems reasonable and reaches steady state pretty quickly

I don’t think you have to spend on another PH meter. You just have to make sure the probe you have now it calibrated.
after calibration. Stick in the probe in the cal solution and make sure it reads what the solution is.

I don’t think you have to spend on another PH meter. You just have to make sure the probe you have now it calibrated.
after calibration. Stick in the probe in the cal solution and make sure it reads what the solution is.
Truth

If I transport a closed/no air sample of tank water to work and just use the pH meter there, should I be able to assume pH won’t change much in ~1 hr?

Was able to get some calibration solution and it seems that the probe was the issue. 8.31 reading. Guess I will stop dosing for a while.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back