Random Primer Question

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys,
We all know that when plumbing a tank, purple primer is "reef safe" but, what about things that have been soaked in primer? Do you guys think it's possible to soak some rocks in diluted primer to give it that purple look? Or even frag plugs?
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

I personally wouldn't want to try it either. Not worth contaminating your whole tank and potentially losing all of your livestock.
If you want purple frag plugs you can just buy them: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/coralline-purple-ceramic-coral-frag-plugs-oceans-wonders.html
Also if you don't want to wait for the natural coraline to build up, they sell the fake rock that has the purple already on it.
Thanks. I knew they sell all this but, was just curious if it could be done. I already have about 100lb's of dry rock and thought it would be cool if after I build the scape, if I could dip it in some diluted primer to give it a purple look. If not, I can wait..

Thanks. I knew they sell all this but, was just curious if it could be done. I already have about 100lb's of dry rock and thought it would be cool if after I build the scape, if I could dip it in some diluted primer to give it a purple look. If not, I can wait..
It’s more fun to wait and watch it grow

I would believe primer is safe because it momentarily softens pvc which then gets used up and dries. Not sure it would permanently dry up on rock.

Just grab some coraline shavings from a buddy and seed your system

I don't mind waiting. I was just wondering if I could do this to make it look cool in the early stages as well as hide the morter/apoxy on my rock work..

Maybe add a little red and blue food dye in water and see what happens. I've no idea how permanent it would be or how it would affect the chemistry of your water.

@MLemming7 Someone did this 12 years ago on you tube check out his 4 videos. His tank is an algae toilet LOL! He used PVC primer and Baer Latex paint diluted with water. The only thing I wish is that he would have tested his water parameters to see if there was any parameters affected. If you were really to try this I would recommend doing it in its own tank then sending out an ICP to see what is really in the water with the dyed rock. I would not try this in your actual display unless you had hard evidence that there would be no ill effects.
Here is the link: watch all 4 videos

@MLemming7 Someone did this 12 years ago on you tube check out his 4 videos. His tank is an algae toilet LOL! He used PVC primer and Baer Latex paint diluted with water. The only thing I wish is that he would have tested his water parameters to see if there was any parameters affected. If you were really to try this I would recommend doing it in its own tank then sending out an ICP to see what is really in the water with the dyed rock. I would not try this in your actual display unless you had hard evidence that there would be no ill effects.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

After watching those videos, I think I'll pass lol

An algae toilet! Ouch.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back