Red Sea Max 250 - Rebuild

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I bought used WELL used RSM 250 a few weeks ago. It was up and running and had been for years and had one lone damsel left in it. I drained everything into a 55 gallon drum in the back of the truck, took all the live rock and sand in buckets of tankwater, and brought it from Springfield to Billerica. The water was pretty good and the live rock pretty much eliminated any cycle although nitrates are still around 30ppm. And so it began.

I've upgraded the stock AIO skimmer since a new pump (seized original) was as much as a new skimmer. I went with an Aquamax WS-1 in sump.

The original (6)T5's were down to just three with one blown ballast and a ruined socket. I would have loved a Steve's drop-in replacement but took the hard route and did a DIY swap with a Current Orbit Marine IC PRO with Bluetooth Controller. This has two strips that total 36" by 7" wide and after some bracket bending I fit both in the original hood. The loop controller and transformers all went in the cabinet to control heat a little better.

Since the lights were MUCH less noisy with the old fans gone I figured I'd upgrade the returns with two Current pumps that will run on the same loop controller, still waiting for those.

A quick shout out to Love the Reef, who I luckily discovered is about 5 miles from home! Their water and cleanup crew has been great.

A few pictures below from first moving in till tonight. Damsel is still loving life.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg