Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 2 Cor20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Exclusive RD3 100w

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Ttran102

BRS Member
Hi I'm starting my tank really soon and ive been debating on which return pump to go with. All of this pump is really reliable based on what i've read. I'm really heading toward 2 apex cor20 1 for return and 1 for manifold since its more convenience to program it. But the vectra l2 and red dragon speed 3 100w 1 of those pump will be enough for return and through manifolds. Anyone have been running red dragon speed 3 on an apex controller? Because people recommend me to use an surge protector for that pump since the controller is easy to get fry and is really expensive to replace.

Tank Info
Waterbox LX 220
Oem sump with hard plumbing.

Core 20 pump itself is good but the power supply and the controller is hot garbage. I have 2 core sitting in my closet with burn out power supply

Core 20 pump itself is good but the power supply and the controller is hot garbage. I have 2 core sitting in my closet with burn out power supply
That's so weird I guess it hit or miss because on my old cor20 been using it since first release and no problem at all.

I thought of that too but man those things cost an arm and a leg. Well what are the chance those things will break before warranty expired lol.
Im running an abyzz pump on my tank and i can say its built like a tank…cant beat 10yr warranty either

Spending more is no guarantee of success! I was sucked in by the sexy ads and endorsements by snooty elitist types. Looking back at the top shelf stuff I've bought and comparing it to the cheaper equipment I own.......I find no difference in performance. My approach for all future tanks is dual return pumps with check valve isolation and having a 3rd spare pump. This allows pumps swap for cleaning or maintenance without stopping flow. I'll never buy anything but 24 DC sine wave pumps either. While I've come to have high regard for Jecod/Jebao pumps I realize not all feel the same about them, but my method gives me redundancy and a spare on the shelf if ever needed...... for way less $$$
It's tough to justify the cost of a spare of any of the pumps you listed, so I see all your eggs in one expensive basket that can take all life in your tank if it fails. That seems too risky to even entertain the idea in my opinion.
Best of luck whatever you decide!

My wife recently came to me and asked if I had shut down some of my aquariums.....(silly woman!..lol).
This was the proof positive of getting away from A/C pumps and embracing sine wave DC. Another benefit was the reduction in tank temp. This is where the extra wattage and wasted electric bill goes. I think I cut my electrical usage by 75% and don't need to chill anymore in higher ambient temps. While I gave highfive's comment a thumbs up, think about how quickly the savings on an A/C pond pump is offset by an operating cost 3 times that the DC unit.....Oh, and they're absolutely silent as well. Guess I drank the Kool-Aid on this one.......hahaha!

Going to go with pond pump before investing in royal e.
Yea but those pumps is making tons of noise. If my sump is somewhere in the basement away from the tank I would've gone with ac pumps. I decided to go with vectra l2 since will be running most of the stuff on mobius. And I have a cor20 on hand already if anything I can use it for back up. Rd3 pump is really nice and a reliable pump but controller is so expensive to replace if it get fry and it cost another $200 just for an adapter to connect to apex so not worth it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back