Rock-n-Reef’s IM 112 Gallon Lagoon style build (or rather the 2020 Corona build!)

Bucket Refugium!

After considerable thought on having Refugium vs. Algae Turf Scrubber vs. Algae reactor, decided to go with a refugium. However, my sump doesn’t have a separate refug chamber. It has a large 18 x15 center chamber that already has my Skimmer and couple of marinepure blocks. I chose this sump knowing the limitation. I was sure I can take the skimmer offline after the tank matures a bit, and then convert this into a full refuge chamber.

So in the meantime, planned to setup a bucket refugium (full disclaimer – not my original design. Based on a DIY build by Abe from Coral Euphoria channel). The principle is simple: use a bucket (for that matter any container) inside the sump as a refug, that way there is no light spill to the rest of the sump, and when detritus and other gunk settles in the refuge over the period of time, it is easy to take it out and clean.

It is ideal to have a black container/bucket. But the black salt buckets that I had wouldn’t fit into my sump. So decide to use a Tropic Marine salt bucket (the smaller 80 gallon mix container) that seems to fit snug inside the sump.

Since it is not black, I decided to use a few plastic craft mesh to create a lining inside the bucket. Which will help reduce the light spill, and also act as a strainer to stop any chaeto from escaping to the sump.

Three mesh sheets and a few zip ties does the job.

1598323124917.jpeg

Here is the mesh lining
1598323214933.jpeg

So the bucket is ready.
1598323341827.jpeg

Drill the lid for a water inlet and a hole in the center for the light.

1598323382532.jpeg

Decided to use a Kessil A360X refugium grow light that was lying around. So used a piece of PVC Foam Board and made a housing/stand for it to sit on top of the lid.

1598323502502.jpeg

1598323663269.jpeg

Drill four 3/4 inch holes that will act as drains/overflows. You can see the mesh acting as a strainer.

1598323742797.jpeg

Feed the chiller output line to the refug inlet, so that I don't have to use a separate pump and a quick water test.
1598323862293.jpeg

Mount the light, add the chaeto to the bucket. Good to go.
1598323929261.jpeg

There is a little bit of light spill. So I might change it to a black bucket down the lane. But this should be good enough for now. I will also be adding some miracle mud to the refug.

Bucket Refugium!

After considerable thought on having Refugium vs. Algae Turf Scrubber vs. Algae reactor, decided to go with a refugium. However, my sump doesn’t have a separate refug chamber. It has a large 18 x15 center chamber that already has my Skimmer and couple of marinepure blocks. I chose this sump knowing the limitation. I was sure I can take the skimmer offline after the tank matures a bit, and then convert this into a full refuge chamber.

So in the meantime, planned to setup a bucket refugium (full disclaimer – not my original design. Based on a DIY build by Abe from Coral Euphoria channel). The principle is simple: use a bucket (for that matter any container) inside the sump as a refug, that way there is no light spill to the rest of the sump, and when detritus and other gunk settles in the refuge over the period of time, it is easy to take it out and clean.

It is ideal to have a black container/bucket. But the black salt buckets that I had wouldn’t fit into my sump. So decide to use a Tropic Marine salt bucket (the smaller 80 gallon mix container) that seems to fit snug inside the sump.

Since it is not black, I decided to use a few plastic craft mesh to create a lining inside the bucket. Which will help reduce the light spill, and also act as a strainer to stop any chaeto from escaping to the sump.

Three mesh sheets and a few zip ties does the job.

View attachment 146787

Here is the mesh lining
View attachment 146788

So the bucket is ready.
View attachment 146789

Drill the lid for a water inlet and a hole in the center for the light.

View attachment 146790

Decided to use a Kessil A360X refugium grow light that was lying around. So used a piece of PVC Foam Board and made a housing/stand for it to sit on top of the lid.

View attachment 146792

View attachment 146793

Drill four 3/4 inch holes that will act as drains/overflows. You can see the mesh acting as a strainer.

View attachment 146794

Feed the chiller output line to the refug inlet, so that I don't have to use a separate pump and a quick water test.
View attachment 146795

Mount the light, add the chaeto to the bucket. Good to go.
View attachment 146796

There is a little bit of light spill. So I might change it to a black bucket down the lane. But this should be good enough for now. I will also be adding some miracle mud to the refug.
Very smart

That’s clean, simple and I’ll bet it’s as effective as a paxbellum. Lows buckets are dark blue and west Marine sells Black threaded lids

That’s clean, simple and I’ll bet it’s as effective as a paxbellum. Lows buckets are dark blue and west Marine sells Black threaded lids
Thank you! I have been looking at some of these. Need to find one that fits in the small space.

I haven't posted an update in a while. Things have been on auto-pilot. Parameters are slowly getting to where I want them to be. Fish and corals have been looking healthy. No new additions to live stock.

Last few weeks have been busy planning out a new build that will replace my RSM S-650. New build thread coming up on that soon!

1602603356932.jpeg

The Copperband loves the camera!

1602603450459.jpeg

1602603488746.jpeg

I haven't posted an update in a while. Things have been on auto-pilot. Parameters are slowly getting to where I want them to be. Fish and corals have been looking healthy. No new additions to live stock.

Last few weeks have been busy planning out a new build that will replace my RSM S-650. New build thread coming up on that soon!

View attachment 149611

The Copperband loves the camera!

View attachment 149612

View attachment 149613
ooo new build, can't wait

amazing build, your build is the reason why I register here.
I just bought the same set up, and planning to use T5 combo as well,
how is the light coming along?

Thanks

amazing build, your build is the reason why I register here.
I just bought the same set up, and planning to use T5 combo as well,
how is the light coming along?

Thanks

Thank you! I love the lights. As I indicated in my light setup, the 36" is probably an overkill for the 36" wide tank and there is light spill (if you have a canopy, you wouldn't probably worry about the light spill). Probably the 24" would be a better fit and you could use the XL version of the end plates for the Giesemann Stellar to mount the radions vertical to the T5 to get the front to back spread.
Adding the extension XL end-plates and 2 pair of XL mounting struts would add $90 to the lighting cost (which would balance out with using the 24" fixture instead of the 36")

Mr. Fury had a partner, but did not make it through the quarantine. the female was too stressed out from the shipping. The Fedex was delayed and ended up spending an extra night in the box.

New partner and few other wrasses in the next batch for quarantine, coming soon!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back