Sad read

LTibbs77

Non-member

This is indeed very sad. The guy who founded KP aquatics (it used to be called Sea Life inc) started a non profit where he frags corals and transplants them onto the reefs. I will link the page below. When I read about things like this, it's easy to feel powerless. But it's possible to donate even a small amount and contribute to ongoing efforts to repopulate Florida's reef ecosystems.

Im not big on fund raisers but maybe this is something the club could support somehow.

This is indeed very sad. The guy who founded KP aquatics (it used to be called Sea Life inc) started a non profit where he frags corals and transplants them onto the reefs. I will link the page below. When I read about things like this, it's easy to feel powerless. But it's possible to donate even a small amount and contribute to ongoing efforts to repopulate Florida's reef ecosystems.

Im not big on fund raisers but maybe this is something the club could support somehow.

It's a great idea, especially if there's any level of success in doing so.

Supporting these efforts seems novel, but it really misses the point of existential threat to coral because their environment is changing faster than they can adapt(seemingly). Planting out corals just to watch them perish in the same way their native counterparts did would be folly. Selective breeding is still a way off in even the most advanced tanks. Seems we are a day late and a dollar short

Supporting these efforts seems novel, but it really misses the point of existential threat to coral because their environment is changing faster than they can adapt(seemingly). Planting out corals just to watch them perish in the same way their native counterparts did would be folly. Selective breeding is still a way off in even the most advanced tanks. Seems we are a day late and a dollar short
Check out the Facebook pages for this organization and for their sister organization in Bonaire. I'm not saying that this is the only solution, or even the ultimate solution, but I do think it buys a little time.

We have longer to adapt them in captivate than they have in the wild. It could be possible to acclimate them and find hardier corals that might still flourish down the road

Actually I’ve read somewhere that they have removed the zooxanthellae from some corals and added some that can take higher temperatures. If the coral doesn’t reject it it could be a game changer on a reef. Also some food for thought, a reef builds itself from a deep part of the ocean and keeps growing upward. At some point it will all die on the top and start over from the bottom and repeat the cycle.

Actually I’ve read somewhere that they have removed the zooxanthellae from some corals and added some that can take higher temperatures. If the coral doesn’t reject it it could be a game changer on a reef. Also some food for thought, a reef builds itself from a deep part of the ocean and keeps growing upward. At some point it will all die on the top and start over from the bottom and repeat the cycle.
Interesting way to think about it, hopefully somebody finds a solution. The more people thinking about it and sharing the more likely the problem finds the right mind.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back