Sand bed question

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I'm breaking down my tank and starting a new 1(bigger of course). I want to save my sand bed. I have a ton of nassarius snails and the sand bed is 6 years old. I know this cause we just had it party last Wednesday.

Are there any ways to do this? What would you recommend?

As Always Thanks,

I’d start fresh. Once you disturb it completely like that, it’s more of a liability than benefit

You could save a cup of sand and try to keep it intact and well aerated to preserve that biodiversity. And of course try to find all the nassarius etc. Maybe a strainer of some sort?

But it’s usually just going to release a huge amount of detritus and maybe cause ammonia spike from die off of aerobic layers going anaerobic and vice versa. So it’s really best to just rinse it until clear with a hose, then rinse again in RO or salt water

If you’re set on preserving it, take out the rocks first, then do a complete siphon clean. Then move it as fast as you can. Be prepared to deal with cloudy water. How deep is the sand? If you stir up a bit of it, how much junk does it kick up?

If you’re set on preserving it, take out the rocks first, then do a complete siphon clean. Then move it as fast as you can. Be prepared to deal with cloudy water. How deep is the sand? If you stir up a bit of it, how much junk does it kick up?
It's about 3 inches deep. It is pretty clean as my diamond head goby cleans it daily. The new system will not be ready to go for several months :(

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back