Should i be worried?

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
I'm adding a 40b frag tank to my current 60g tank and I'm wondering would there be a mini cycle?

Every thing in the frag tank, the glass and the egg crate, will have to get seeded with bacteria and will grow opportunistic algae, dinos, etc. unitl that occurs, but the main tank won't be affected, except that if you're feeding at the same level but increasing water volume 40%, your nitrates/phosphates should go down accordingly.

Every thing in the frag tank, the glass and the egg crate, will have to get seeded with bacteria and will grow opportunistic algae, dinos, etc. unitl that occurs, but the main tank won't be affected, except that if you're feeding at the same level but increasing water volume 40%, your nitrates/phosphates should go down accordingly.
This was exactly my experience adding a new tank into my system the past few months

I started my frag tank 8 weeks ago and was shocked - shocked, I say - that it went through an "ugly" stage which is only just now settling down. I'd figured that sharing the display tank's water would have prevented that. I did add a few small Scopas tangs to the frag tank, a bunch of snails and a couple of hermit crabs. I don't think the hermits did much as they couldn't really maneuver on all the slick surfaces. And the snails found it hard to get onto the egg crate.

I wound up building a second set of egg crate frag racks and swapping them out every few days so I could hose them down and wash off all the stringy brown algae.

If you decide to add a tang or two, make sure to put in some rocks so that they have places to hide and sleep. Once I did that, they seemed a lot less stressed.

I started my frag tank 8 weeks ago and was shocked - shocked, I say - that it went through an "ugly" stage which is only just now settling down. I'd figured that sharing the display tank's water would have prevented that. I did add a few small Scopas tangs to the frag tank, a bunch of snails and a couple of hermit crabs. I don't think the hermits did much as they couldn't really maneuver on all the slick surfaces. And the snails found it hard to get onto the egg crate.

I wound up building a second set of egg crate frag racks and swapping them out every few days so I could hose them down and wash off all the stringy brown algae.

If you decide to add a tang or two, make sure to put in some rocks so that they have places to hide and sleep. Once I did that, they seemed a lot less stressed.
I was thinking about adding my bristle tooth tang to it I would just have to catch him first. He is really skittish and runs anytime I get closer to the tank

I think whenever you have some "clean," new surfaces, stuff will take hold. You will need algae eating critters in their until you have stable "coated" surfaces. Snails and hermit crabs are a lot easier to catch!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back