Skimmer stopped skimming

chadfish

BRS Member
I have an Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB for my 50gal. It was well-tuned and churning out sludge on a regular basis - I'd dump the cup once a week.

Last few weeks... nothing! I tuned it way "down" to the "wettest" setting, and still nothing!

The skimmer seems to be functioning normally- lots of bubbles, some foam at the top, but little-to-no skimmate produced.

I'm feeding normally: minimally but not zero - still spot-feed corals every weekend and dose live phyto every other day or so.

What gives? Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it the tank or the equipment?

Pull it. Take it apart. I have the super big one. Pull it once a month. Also take venturi and poke a scure through. Get plugged up fast. Aquamaxx notorious for that but man o man they crank. Also clean pump. Best skimmer out there. ❤

Attachments

• 20210820_134342_HDR.jpg
    20210820_134342_HDR.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 160
How old is the skimmer? And when is the last time you serviced the pump or checked the venturi?

Since about a month old. They are notorious for this. I service it even it looks wonky. One week i had it out every couple of days. Love it tho hauls A#%

How old is the skimmer? And when is the last time you serviced the pump or checked the venturi?
It’s a few months old. I haven’t serviced it yet. I guess that will change this weekend. The bubble manifold looks the same to the naked eye, but I bet you guys are right and it’s clogged up just enough to lower the output.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back