Starting process

jdivz87

Formerly Known as diaz.jael
So I’m starting to put the water into the tank I was told by a local LFS employee about when I put the water in to my 40 gallon breeder start filling it let it go to sump and then I believe it was shut off the return pump. Can somebody correct me please if I’m wrong???

He said that I should do that to double check the level in the summer so that then I can market can somebody please elaborate

Say what? Fill the tank and watch the water level works just as well. Don't over complicate it.

Say what? Fill the tank and watch the water level works just as well. Don't over complicate it.
Sounds confusing, but the LFS store employee told me fill the tank do the normal that’s it and then once it goes into the sun and it fills the return pump, shut it off and you’ll see the levels obviously adjust it’s gonna overflow into the sump and I will at some point at mark it so that I know that if I get a power outage or whatever I’m not overflowing

Sounds confusing, but the LFS store employee told me fill the tank do the normal that’s it and then once it goes into the sun and it fills the return pump, shut it off and you’ll see the levels obviously adjust it’s gonna overflow into the sump and I will at some point at mark it so that I know that if I get a power outage or whatever I’m not overflowing
How big is the sump and how low are the returns going into the tank? I have a 100 and 80 tied into 1 34 gallon sump with room to spare when power cuts.

Welcome to reefing. Show some pics of your setup. One thing to watch out for with a new setup is after you have it filled make sure that when the power is turned off that the water doesn't siphon out of your display tank and overflow your sump.

Fill the water in your display, watch it overflow into your sump. Let the sump fill to the level you like. Make sure you leave enough empty room for back siphon in case of a power out and the display drain the water through your return pipe into the sump. Turn your return pump on and enjoy.

The main thing is to make sure that if you lose your return pump(for any reason) ie... power loss, snail in the return pump, or just a failure. You need to make sure that you have enough space for the water to drain back to the sump without an overflow. You can drilling a hole in your return line just below the water line. That will create a siphon break once the water gets below the hole. You can also install a check valve in the return line. That will stop any reverse water flow in any outage of the return pump.

Back