Tank swap to complete the upgrade!!

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I have my tank all cycled in. Im going from a 72 to a 90. I have never swapped over a tank before and not sure of the best way to do so. It is a mixed reef tank with fish, live rock, and various corals. the new tank has new sand, 2 fish and have started moving over some of the rocks to help with cycle time.

Do i have to acclimate all corals and fish to the new tank? What is the best process to do the swap? Do i need to have the lights in place before the swap?

As Always thanks for all the help and advise.

I've always just moved things over without any issues. Check parameters with the new sand

I would acclimate them just the same as you would if buying them from someone (no qt needed) unless the 2 tanks were tied in together. Probably wouldn't have big effect to put straight in but every system is different even if in the same room. Most coral can easily go 2-3 days without light but wouldn't push it much past that.

I’ve done the same before but what I did was just break down the old tank into a couple of brutes, had saltwater mixed up in another brute for any additional top off/water loss. Added new sand to the new tank and then added rock, water and fish/corals. No fatalities. I also left the lights out for a day for everyone to settle in

Like suggested above I’d acclimate the fish and coral Like u normally would since it’s not the same water

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back