Tunze in a 75Gal?

smcnally

Tankless
I've been running a 6060 in my 75 Gal for about 2 months now and I think I might get rid of it. I always have issues with it shifting sand around (not severely though). But what I think was my deciding factor was that I pulled it out for cleaning the other day and all my corals seem happier. They are opened up so much nicer. I know people say you can never have to much flow, but I think the flow I had was more like a river, than the ocean. Anyone else have one in a 75Gal or similar tank? I'm going to give it a few more days, and then possibly put it up for sale.

I have never had a Tunze in my 75 mostly because the input I get is they are to much for a 75, I don't know with the new controllers if they can be turned down to an acceptable level or not.

Jim

I have two 6061's in my 125 and I leave them running at 80%. I alternate them though with the controller... they are never running at the same time. I don't have any issues with them blowing stuff around.

Steve, have you tried adjusting it upward to see if that works?

Tam

My problem is that you can't turn a 6060 down. It is full bore, or off. I'm really starting to like the look of my tank without it. If I go with a bigger tank, I would definitely use a controllable model.

TBoisvert said:
I have two 6061's in my 125 and I leave them running at 80%. I alternate them though with the controller... they are never running at the same time. I don't have any issues with them blowing stuff around.

Steve, have you tried adjusting it upward to see if that works?

Tam
Upward helps, but my corals still look irritated. I have 4 much smaller power heads in there now and it I think if I put one more MJ1200 in there at a lower level then the others it will be perfect.

ltelus said:
If you decide to get rid of it,LMK
-Liam.
There was one person who actually PM'd me before you posted this. I will probably post this in the "Equipment For Sale Forum" in a couple days when I make up my mind.

I think your problem is that it's a constant 1800gph. And probably where you have it position. Try to aim the flow toward the glass.

this is me said:
I think your problem is that it's a constant 1800gph. And probably where you have it position. Try to aim the flow toward the glass.
I can't aim it at the glass because I have 4" of southdown. It blows all over if the Tunze is aimed at the glass.

how about position the 6060 in the corner and aim it toward the other corner diagonally.
that might help.

I ran a 6060 in a 75 for a while, I ran it so it blew from one end toward the other end and slightly angled toward the center of the front glass. It blew sand around for a while but the sand issue settled down and it kind of settled where it wouldn't blow around anymore, just had a shallow area in the front center of the tank.

What do you have for livestock? If it's mostly lps, softie or other non sps then the tunze is probablly overkill. If it's mostly SPS then usually yes, the more flow the better

(I also have a 6060 I may post FS in the near future)

I have a few SPS (Mostly frags except a 6" green slimer). But a mix of LPS and zoas too. I also dealt with the "ditch" effect, and it really wasn't bad. I just think my other corals like the lighter flow. I've decided I am going to sell it. It's soaking in a vinegar/water bath right now. For those that expressed interest, I figured $90 was fair since it is pretty new. I will accept cash, frags (of similar value), or a frag/cash combo. The order of the people that wanted it were:
1) "This is Me"
2) "Itelus"
3) "ReeferMedic"
If one on the list doesn't want it let me know and it will go to next on the list. If one of the moderators want's to move this to the "Equipment for Sale" forum, that would be cool.

smcnally said:
I have a few SPS (Mostly frags except a 6" green slimer). But a mix of LPS and zoas too. I also dealt with the "ditch" effect, and it really wasn't bad. I just think my other corals like the lighter flow. I've decided I am going to sell it. It's soaking in a vinegar/water bath right now. For those that expressed interest, I figured $90 was fair since it is pretty new. I will accept cash, frags (of similar value), or a frag/cash combo. The order of the people that wanted it were:
1) "This is Me"
2) "Itelus"
3) "ReeferMedic"
If one on the list doesn't want it let me know and it will go to next on the list. If one of the moderators want's to move this to the "Equipment for Sale" forum, that would be cool.

(I also have a 6060 I may post FS in the near future) Quote-jimmyj7090

I have two right now in a 210 with two seios. I'd love to replace the seios with two more 6060s. LMK......

I can make the same offer for whoever is next after smcnally sells his.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back