Tunze Wavebox Rules !!!

I installed my wavebox tonight... all I can say is WOW! The box generates the back and forth motion throughout the tank. It reminds me of shallow dives at Bonaire with the gorgonians swaying gently back and forth. I also am running 4 Tunze 6100 Streams independently from the Wavebox. The Streams run in pairs, one pair on the left of the tank and the other on the right. With the wavebox there is a huge improvement in water flow. ALL of the water moves as a wave across the tank that produces an alternating current that is the ideal high vloume, low velocity. This tends to suspend detritus and other waste which is then hit by the Streams and pushed towards one of the two overflows that are located on opposite sides of the tank. Now that I see the swaying motion of my anemones and several LPS corals, it's as if something was missing before the box was installed.....truly worth every penny!

wow, sure you have enough flow? - how much alternating height did it give you? I saw the demo and thought I'd either have to lower the water level or worry about it splashing. not true in either case? any pics?

Chuck glad to hear your view on this i am debating getting one myself.

Clamm is right a Video would be really nice

Sounds like the perfect way to generate flow in larger tanks.
I'd love to see video of it too:D

Obviously not my tank :D It really is a cool device.

Wavebox_animiert_33.gif

I've seen that one before...if chuck can get a video up it would be awesome...that looks like a really cool device.

the box in the back right hand corner
the tunze wave box fills with water then a 6100 stream pump turns on and pushing the water out of the box forcing it to the other end of the tank. now depending on the size of the tank depends on the time between pump on-off cycle but i think about 2 seconds is an average time from what i have read. it is like a very small surge tank, it fills with water then is force drained creating a wave surge.
atleast that is how i understand it i have never seen it in person only video

It is awesome, I saw Chucks and the water moved about ?? to 1? up and down at each end of the tank. We could vary this a little with the controller to move a little faster or slower. What was neat to watch was a Banggai Cardinalfish sitting about 2 inches below the surface riding up and down with the wave. Everything that had tentacles was swaying left and right, if you looked close you could see that even the polyps on the corals were swaying. Very cool.

Not to jump on your thread Chuck but just to clarify a couple of questions, The wave box works on a resonance frequency, Every tank will have a differant resonance based on tank size rock work ect. Normal overflow boxes will not effect the operation of the unit at all. It is equiped with a modified tunze stream 6200 and the controller is a dial unit to control the resonance.
On that note just a little advice for anyone interested in purchasing one of these units, I don't think I would put one in a tank that is less than 4' do to the size of the unit and the effectiveness below a 4' tank. on an up note you never worry about dead spots ever again. I have had my unit since it first hit the states in late 04, it has worked almost flawlessly except for a month ago I had to replace the drive unit in the 6200 witch tunze warrantied with no questions asked. Also purchase the optional magnet holders for the unit, it makes life so much easier when it comes to mounting.

Back