UNS 60S Shallow Reef

Edward

IG: @ed3aquatics
BRS Member
Hi everyone, I decided to jump back into reefing before my big move (by the end of the year) and subsequent upgrade to my old system. In the mean time I decided to take down my overgrown freshwater pond I had for the past couple of years and start a shallow softie/macro algae tank in my UNS 60S, I also plan on starting to grow mangroves on the little island I made with the LR.

I started this tank on Saturday, 2/26/22, and used live rock I've been curing for the past 9ish months. I'm doing a minimalistic/open scape concept for my scape as you can see below. I haven't planned on what livestock I'll be using other than a CuC but am thinking of possibly getting a very small pair of clowns and growing them out. Due to the nature of this tank and setup it'll have to stay uncovered. Let me know what you guys think!

Eddie
fts2.jpg
FTS.jpg

Hi everyone, I decided to jump back into reefing before my big move (by the end of the year) and subsequent upgrade to my old system. In the mean time I decided to take down my overgrown freshwater pond I had for the past couple of years and start a shallow softie/macro algae tank in my UNS 60S, I also plan on starting to grow mangroves on the little island I made with the LR.

I started this tank on Saturday, 2/26/22, and used live rock I've been curing for the past 9ish months. I'm doing a minimalistic/open scape concept for my scape as you can see below. I haven't planned on what livestock I'll be using other than a CuC but am thinking of possibly getting a very small pair of clowns and growing them out. Due to the nature of this tank and setup it'll have to stay uncovered. Let me know what you guys think!

EddieView attachment 173581View attachment 173582
I wouldn’t change anything on it. Looks awesome simple and elegant that way.

I've been working from home more frequently thank I'd care to admit lately so I've been extra on top of monitoring my parameters and since all this live rock has been curing since May 2021 I decided it was safe to add a small pair of picasso percula clownfish. The temp, salinity, pH, DO, Alk and phosphate levels were all identical so I really wasn't concerned about die off of pods or bacteria causing spikes. I figured from my experience that I'd go through a normal swing in ammonia/nitrate/nitrite that new tanks go through when you add new fish and that would be it, so far my prediction has been correct. Before the clownfish were added (one week post set up) my parameters shifted very slightly and since they've been added, nitrate rose as predicted and I did a good water change. So far so good!

I also added a Red People Eater Zoanthid frag along with a Rasta zoas, Dragon's Breath and C.prolifera macro algaes from European Aquatics. I picked up three mangrove pods at FFM yesterday and put them there along with a toadstool leather frag from @Cpage101 .

I won't be adding much more than that other than a few softie frags and maybe a couple of hardy SPS/LPS since this tank ultimately will be moved before the year's end so my impatient butt decided to add enough to give myself a good idea of what the tank will start looking like when mature. I may add a pair of Yasha gobies and a pistol shrimp in a couple of months but we shall see!

One thing I wanted to do with this tank is to monitor as much as I possibly can because I ultimately will tie this tank into a larger mangrove/macro dominated display that will be connected to my much larger, in planning, SPS dominated display I'll be starting later this year. I'm trying to get a personal better understanding of the direct impact of macro algae, flow, mangroves and surface area to water volume ratio and PAR readings has on water parameters and tank health overall.

I'm doing this using flow meters, a PAR meter, a Dissolved Oxygen meter, a microscope with camera and hemocytometer ( for measuring average pod populations), test kits, and also measuring feeding amounts, inches of fish, lbs of live rock and sand, volume in ratios to try and measure the benefits of varying amounts of macros and mangroves. Do I have a control? No so this is not a perfect experiment and the variables can only be compared to the past measurements I've taken in all of my tanks over the past 16 years so it'll do for personal work =D.

I do have some plans for documented comparison experiments I'll be performing once I finally have more room this year. One simple one is having two identical 20H tanks one using RODI and salt mix and another with NSW from here.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, I'll try and update what I'm doing here and on Reef2Reef weekly!

Eddie

FTS 3.6.2022.jpg
Grade A Picasso Percula Clown Pair.jpg
Microscope setup.jpg
DO meter.jpg

A hemocytometer is a type of microscope slide that has laser etched lines/grid that have known measurements. Was able to see quite a few pods and other cool moving/active things I couldn't identify. These were the best pictures I could get, I haven't used one of these in 4-5 years. Now that I found my microscope and camera I'll push to perfect my imaging and get some meaningful data!

This is at 40x magnification
40x measure.jpg

Different view, 100x magnification. all of those yellowish dots are pods and were moving. Next time I'll post a video.
100x measure one.jpg

This is a 400x magnification of the rod you can see coming out from behind what looks like a big black circle with worms on the inside in the previous picture. Whatever this is, its photosynthetic!
400x no measure one.jpg

This is a 400x magnification view of the black circle with the worms inside it on the second picture.
400x no measure two.jpg

Update:

Parameters have been stable for a while now, clowns are thriving, macro algae and mangroves are all establishing. I've added some blue hornet, scrambled egg and two other zoas I have no idea what their names are. I also was given a frag of sunset montipora so I I guess there will be SPS in this tank and not just softies. I added a fighting conch a few weeks ago and with supplemental feeding, he has been thriving. Still going through an ugly stage with algae/diatom/cyano and other bacterial blooms occasionally but nothing too too bad. I do have a pistol shrimp with really cool coloration digging under my rocks as well, now to find a pair of yasha gobies to pair with him!

I'll try and get pictures of the unidentified zoas soon and maybe someone can help me out with an ID.

UNS60 FTS 3.30.22.jpg

How do you like the dissolved oxygen meter? Is it useful? How much change do you see day vs night?

How do you like the dissolved oxygen meter? Is it useful? How much change do you see day vs night?
I'm definitely seeing some fluctuations, lower at night for sure. The biggest fluctuations seem to be when the windows are open and natural light is hitting the tank during the day. I'll be taking better notes knowing this during the summer.

I'm definitely seeing some fluctuations, lower at night for sure. The biggest fluctuations seem to be when the windows are open and natural light is hitting the tank during the day. I'll be taking better notes knowing this during the summer.
Awesome. Does the meter have a data logging function? I'd love to see a graph of how it changes across 24h.

Awesome. Does the meter have a data logging function? I'd love to see a graph of how it changes across 24h.
It is an external meter I have to manually check the readings on. I'm sure I can figure something out to monitor readings over 24 hours some lazy day.

Some updates: I've acquired a Penicillus dumetosus or shaving brush macro, Udotea flabellum also known as Mermaid's fan, Caulerpa cupressoides or zipper algae and several mangroves from @jfoahs04 that already had some foliage and roots. As of today mangroves will be getting supplemental light more suited to them to supplement their growth.

There is also a well fed fighting conch, 3 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp now.

The tank is definitely going through its ugly phase right now but hopefully a few corrections and the upgraded clean up crew will clean it right up.
Top Down 4.7.22.jpg

For some reason it won't let me upload all of the pictures I took but when it does, I'll add them!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back