UV Sterilizer

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

MarkSzy

BRS Member
Hello everyone, I wanted to get some opinions. I am setting up my new tank and wanted to see what everyone thinks about UV sterilizers. I would prefer to plumb it in now and now later.

I added one among other measures to squash a dinoflagellate outbreak and I never went back. Worked!

I run mine at night and I have it set to not turn on (or to actively turn off) if the tank reaches a certain temp. This is in a small AIO, so the heat from the uv bulb actually makes a difference on hot days. I'd rather have dinos than bouillabaisse!

I guess the next question is which brand? I have seen anywhere from the Pentair at 700 bucks to a Cora life at 150 saying they will do the same size tanks. I never used UV on my old tanks but was always interested in seeing what differences they made.

My choice was 100% driven by what would fit in the middle compartment of my AIO. Hopefully the folks with experience running on larger systems can chime in on favorite brands.

You keep doing this to me haha, I know buying the best the first time around is the way to go but the cheap as person in me keeps saying buy less instead. Ha
Just do it, you'll be glad you did later on. I get insider tips form @this is me so if he says buy the good stuff, that's what I do. Pentair 40 watt running strong.

What’s the tank size?
remember, you’re likely be doing the plumbing for this. Just make sure you do some reading and buy the best one you can afford. The plumbing you’ll be doing is very unlikely be compatible with a different unit if you have to repurchase.

I used a plug and play one for FW aquariums, left it in my sump for a coiple months....did it do anything? No clue lol I still have it tho.

What’s the tank size?
remember, you’re likely be doing the plumbing for this. Just make sure you do some reading and buy the best one you can afford. The plumbing you’ll be doing is very unlikely be compatible with a different unit if you have to repurchase.
I have a 200g with a 40g sump. I haven’t touched the plumbing yet, I have some plans but nothing setup. I was thinking about adding this in line with one of my return pumps and adding valves to control the flow through it. Thoughts?

I have a 200g with a 40g sump. I haven’t touched the plumbing yet, I have some plans but nothing setup. I was thinking about adding this in line with one of my return pumps and adding valves to control the flow through it. Thoughts?
Could you build your return line with unions so that you can just add this to the plumbing if needed?

I built a manifold off my return so I can attach thing like a chiller/media reactor or sterilizer and not need another pump to drive them. I actually love it because I can control the flow with valves and not need more pumps.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back