UV Sterilizer vs no UV

UV Sterilizer

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
I like the manifold or dedicated pump to it as you wanna be able to control the flow as stated above. The 80w is calling your name. I have the 50wHO which I like because it’s not as long as the standard ones.

Could you build your return line with unions so that you can just add this to the plumbing if needed?
Yes I definitely can put a T in with gate valves and add it later. My thought is if I’m going to do it in the future I should just do it now while I am building the tank. My only thought is I under sized my return pump to add this. I have a 2600 gph return splitting between two 1” returns to match my two 1” drains.

I like the manifold or dedicated pump to it as you wanna be able to control the flow as stated above. The 80w is calling your name. I have the 50wHO which I like because it’s not as long as the standard ones.
I was looking at the 50 for size and it’s rated for up to 330g which is over 100 g more then with be in my system.

+ 1 on PSU's and jpags post above. You will want to be able to control the flow in a way that is not dependent on your full return flow. A manifold that draws from the return line, feeds the skimmer and then goes back into the sump is probably the cheapest.

I have a 200g with a 40g sump. I haven’t touched the plumbing yet, I have some plans but nothing setup. I was thinking about adding this in line with one of my return pumps and adding valves to control the flow through it. Thoughts?
I would leave the return line alone. I think it would cause too much instability in the overflow box and not consistent enough flow through the UV overtime.
Best is to run a dedicated pump and dial the flow to specs.

I would leave the return line alone. I think it would cause too much instability in the overflow box and not consistent enough flow through the UV overtime.
Best is to run a dedicated pump and dial the flow to specs.
is there an idea flow for both ick and algae? or is it one or the other? i just ordered the 50w

I run the recommended flow for Protozoa.
I’m sure it does something to the algae as well. Maybe not as effective but I’m sure it affect it some. Water is clearer and less algae on the glass.

Watch the BRS UV videos, very informative. My is inline vertically with the
return pump. High full for algae/dinos not ich. My tank is 100 g / 40 sump.

I built a manifold off my return so I can attach thing like a chiller/media reactor or sterilizer and not need another pump to drive them. I actually love it because I can control the flow with valves and not need more pumps.
I also Built a manifold using Uponor PEX fittings. Take a look. Pretty cheap solution if you have the PEX expansion tool.

Attachments

• 035A9A1B-6FBF-492A-B10F-AF7B71E5ADF8.jpeg
    035A9A1B-6FBF-492A-B10F-AF7B71E5ADF8.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 3D8F0AA2-FE18-4566-AF60-899754977224.jpeg
    3D8F0AA2-FE18-4566-AF60-899754977224.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 79
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back