Vacation return not so good

Mccune

BRS Member
Spent a much needed week down the cape on the beach with the family.
Honestly it was perfect had a great time kids loved it and got away from everyday stress.
We came home yesterday and as I started to unload the cars I opened the basement door. I was smacked in the face with an overwhelming hot humid feeling.
Went downstairs and saw my cadlight 50 long covered in red slime everywhere couldn’t even see through the glass. I looked and only saw one of my fish in the tank my wrasse. I immediately opened up the doll windows and tossed a fan on full blast.
Started checking for any other fish in the tank nothing no sign of my royal gramma, long nose hawk or baby emperor angel. All the anemones in the tank looked fine.
Checked my Waterbox 20cube and all fish were accounted for but a lot of the corals looked dull and a little bleached.
I checked and my WiFi was out apparently a breaker was tripped and knocked that out. Flipped the breaker and my phone started going nuts sending alerts about temp. I checked back over the week and the tank temp had risen to 85 for three days straight.
Why is it if you go on vacation something always happens
Murphy’s law
50 is a mess and will need some serious attention

Ugh, sorry to hear that but you’re right, it’s always something like this that happens when you’re away.

Hopefully you can get it back on track

So sorry to hear this!!! We just returned from a Cape vacation with family yesterday. I hope you are able to get it together again! My brother in law from next town over checked in every other day to feed, check top offs were working etc. I have no automation yet, so needed the help for piece of mind. These tanks are hard to leave from our own personal care. We were not unscathed, as our Blue Tang, has some sort of wound on the belly that is getting cleaner shrimp attention, plus looks a little thinner, as a result of only three big feeds in a seven day stretch. Time to put feed bag on! I wish you a quick recovery!

The heat wave we had last week probably did not help. I am still considering an automatic generator for exactly this reason

Just noticed that my pair of dart frogs did not make it due to the prolonged heat those few days. What a mess

I am so sorry for these losses. This stuff is heartbreaking. I really hope you pull it back together! Difficulties make your hobby stronger in the end, it has helped me in the past. I wish you the same result.

Same here. I went on vacation a few years back and my 210 popped a seal on me and emptied out on the floor. Total loss of course. Only on vacations!

I will try and clear up the tanks and then just go on cruise control for a while not add anything just give everything time to bounce back

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back