What pump goes with AquaC Remora Pro

Mike_McCawley

BRS Member
I have a 40 Breeder, liverock + fish, clowns and E. Quads.

I have a Remora Pro on the back - an old skimmer from ~ 2006 I think. Currently, powered by a MJ1200 inside of the "surface" box.

I feed about one cube of Prime Reef, or Formula 2, or mysis daily, on a rotating basis.
Given this .. the parameters are good, I measure 0, 0, <0.5 on A N N but the tank still looks and feels underskimmed. Coraline is not growing on the glass.
I only collect less than a cup of weak tea-colored skimmate when the cup is down all the way.
So ... what pumps y'all have on a Remora? This tank is in my family room and I don't want screaming loud so no venturi+airline in the jet ... but a bigger pump might do, right?

I’d start by giving the pump/skimmer a good clean with vinegar. A bigger pump/more air isn’t always better, it’s all about the right balance. So id start with a good clean, then see if you can find any impeller upgrades. The Aqua c Remora was probably around the time needle wheels were just coming out so if it’s an old school impeller than thats a no brainer upgrade.

As for better skimmer pumps I’d look at Sicce though IMO a new HOB skimmer won’t be a ton more than a new pump.

Edit: Looking at some Aqua C literature, it looks like the skimmer uses a spray injector to add air vs venturi/needlewheel. I’m not sure how much improvement a bigger pump would have but IMO you’re better off switching to a more modern needle wheel skimmer which can make alot finer bubbles. A good needle wheel pump with airline silencer is quiet.

Last edited:
Thanks @Skmaiden good insight. Worth considering a new skimmer entirely, this thing certainly put in its tour of duty and owes me nothing at this point.

If I remember correctly I used a mag 3 or mag 5 as a upgrade for the pro. Worth a search online
Also you can use any dc pump as long as it has a decent head pressure rating.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back