What's average lifespan of your fish?

What's the average lifespan of your fish?

• Total voters

jdeb101

Non-member
I've probably killed off enough fish in the past 10 years to fill the ocean, the majority of them were unexplained mysterious deaths. Some would be gone the day after purchase, others would last maybe a couple years. I just can never explain it and it's really beginning to frustrate me! So what's everyone else average fish lifespan been?

My clowns are 11 years old.
Yellow Tang is 2 years old but I heard they can live up to 20 or more.
Had a Purple tang that was 7 years old before sold it.
Lyretail Anthias are 7 years.
Yellowtail Damsels are 5 or more.
1 Damsel was 12 years old.
Royal Gramma is like 5 or more.
Those guys live for quite awhile.

Last edited:
I find that if a fish does well beyond 2-3 days, it is with me for a year or more (usually much more). Only had the occasional issue with a fish disappearing around 2-3 weeks (actually, wrasses on 2 separate occasions).

Currently:
One clown is 11 years old (she was purchased as a single). Her little boyfriend is about 1.5 years.
Royal gramma - 3yrs
Neon blue goby - 3.5yrs! Geriatric little bugger...
2 tiger gobies - new, had about 2-3 months

I have a yellowtang that is 3 years , clowns 2 years sailfin little over a year lyre tail 3 years I had a hippo tang for 3 years and recently sent him to solitary for eating corals lol.

My oldest pair of clownfish is 12 years old now.

My Maroon clowns I got when my daughter was 1 or 2, so I guess I've had them about 19 years. They still seem pretty damned healthy, but they only lay eggs rarely now. There was a span of probably 13 years when they laid every 2 weeks. I have two damsels that are just a bit older than the clowns. I lost a lot of fish a few years ago when someone gave me a pair of fish that I added without quarantine. They could not be quarantined because they were obligate coralivores. That was a big mistake. If you want to have fish live a long time once you have a stable system STOP adding fish for years. It's the diseases that come in with new fish that are always the problem.

IME, some fish just do not have very long lifespans. Banggai cardinals usually don't go beyond 5 years. Anthias about the same, maybe a little more if you feed them a LOT, depends a lot on the species. Large angels can live for more than 10 years easy, as can lots of large fish (tangs, etc.). I agree on the wrasses thing...tend to have fast short lives.

Thanks all for your input. My Maroon clown has been with me for probably about 8-9 years now and oldest fish in tank. I know everyone says they are most aggressive clowns out there, however like Greg, mine has been a model citizen (only nipped at me once when I was reaquascaping and pissed him off lol). I've never seen him nip at any other fish, only give them a slight charge if they were new and got next to his territory. The majority of my unexplained fish deaths never showed damage from aggression and usually looked perfectly happy and healthy the days before they perish. It's the strangest thing...

How did you mate your clowns? I have an older clown.. I want to provide a mate.. most say she has been single to long and will kill her mate... Mine is a tank raised ocellaris clown. Hosted in a BTA alone for 1+ year.

Neptune

My fireclown is about 25 and his mate is about 18. The rest of my fish normally live 10 or 12 years except the pipefish, they can go 4 or 5 years. Mandarins live to about 8 or so. My hermit crab pair died at 12.
The fireclowns and all my paired fish continuously spawn.

This watchman was about 11 when she laid these eggs.

How did you mate your clowns? I have an older clown.. I want to provide a mate.. most say she has been single to long and will kill her mate... Mine is a tank raised ocellaris clown. Hosted in a BTA alone for 1+ year.

Neptune

If you can find a tiny one of the same species you have a good chance of them pairing up. More so if you can add the new fish in an acclimation container or otherwise let them get used to seeing each other for a while before coming into physical contact.

The key is making it as easy to establish dominance as quickly and easily as possible. Again, think TINY new fish.

On the same lines of what Paul said, my hitchhiker Zebra Striped Hermit is still loving the tank it's in 4.5 years later ☺

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I have a yellow tail Damsel fish that's 9 years old.
Clowns,yellow tang and Coral beauty over 5 years.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back