Wiring Computer fans

Steve H

Formerly sch1013
Anybody know how to do this, I just bought 3 that are 12V .14A and I want to put them all to one AC adapter, I went to Radioshack but the couldn't help me. Thanks

Each fan uses 140mA, so for 4 fans you'll need at least a 420mA adapter... but buy at least 500 or 600mA because the rated power is not always very reliable. So you're looking for a AC-to-DC 12V 500 or 600mA adapter, should be easy to find... at RadioShack they have this model (500mA) : http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_009_001_001_001&product_id=273-1773

Might be better buying this one instead (1000mA) just in case you want to plug in more fans (or moonlights, etc) : http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_009_001_001_001&product_id=273-1776

The wiring is pretty simple too, just cut off whatever plug comes with the adapter, and connect all the "+" wires together (3 fans and adapter) with a wire nut, do the same for all the "-" wires and you're all set.

Nuno

Thanks Nuno, I saw the 1000mA one at the store but wasn't sure it would work. I was thinking if I bought one that was too high it would burn out the fans

Nope, the fans will only draw the current that they need.

I'd add to Nuno's that with such tiny wires I like to use crimp connectors rather than wire nuts. I'm sure either would work though, if you find the right size.

Nate

The wall mount supplies that you are getting at Radio Shack are still mostly unregulated linear power supplies. (the heavy black bricks that plug directly into the wall). A 12V @ 1A supply is probably about 18V at no load and 15V at the 420 mA. Depending on the fan, this should not be a probelm, but the will be spinning faster.

California has banned linear supply sales after next July. They are only about 45% effiecent is use, and still have a very wasteful draw at no load.

I'm surprised nobody has told you that you don't need 12V to run them. If you get one of those supplies that lets you switch from 4-6-9-12V then you can get different speeds out of the fan. I believe I hae mine running at 6 or 9 volts and it is MUCH quieter.

smcnally said:
I'm surprised nobody has told you that you don't need 12V to run them. If you get one of those supplies that lets you switch from 4-6-9-12V then you can get different speeds out of the fan. I believe I hae mine running at 6 or 9 volts and it is MUCH quieter.

I have the same kind of multi-voltage adapter (both for my fans and moonlights), but found that I left them at 12V because running the fans at a lower voltage makes them push much less air, although they are quieter...

Nuno

um are you not plugging the fan into the motherboard.... this will alow you to set the rpm on the fans and yuo can also monitor the fans and set alarms incase they fail. This can be one through the bios (depending on your mobo) or you can use programs such as motherboard monitor or fanspeed. You can also get a program like everest to monitor all your temps and run test on your system. If you get good fans they come with speed dials that allow for adjustment of the rpms- I just got one for 15 and it pumps 75cfm into the case down a duct directly ontop of the cpu heatsink & fan! Thing is sick but very load almost 30db at 4800 rpm, but when i turn it down to 1300rpm its silent.

mano1192 said:
um are you not plugging the fan into the motherboard....

We're talking about using computer fans to cool down a tank (in the canopy, for instance)... so no motherboard there ;)

Nuno

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back