Wrong anemone or stupid clownfish?

Kenny B

Reefbikeer
After a friend of mine purchased Pilsner's 72g bowfront he decide he just wanted to do a FOWLR. So I wound up with a green bubble tippped anemone. The anemone has been in there for about 5 days now and has fully opened.

My ocellaris hasn't even so much as given it a come hither look. Is this the wrong anemone for this species of clownfish or is he one burger short of a happy meal?

It may take time, you could feed the fish in front of the BTA to encourage it. but there's a good chance it won't take to it and may host in a coral or the sand. I think Tomato's, Clarkii"s and Maroons tend like BTA's more.

I have a hammer and a torch but he hasn't taken to either. He likes to sleep at the top of the tank in the front corner.

To me it all depend. I have both bubble tip and long tip anemone but my clowns host in the clam instead. I saw one clown in the bubble tip once and then back to the clam :confused:

Yup, not a natural host for any oc / perc clowns, but they often do move into BTAs in captivity.

Sometimes people suggest taping a pic of a similar clown onto the outside of the glass, behind the BTA. Idea being the clown will see the pic and go over to chase off the similar looking fish (pic), then the clown bumps into the BTA and discovers it.

Otherwise, just give it time. Kind of like watching water boil or grass grow :)

I thought my clowns would never host my BTA but then one day the female did. That lasted about two weeks and now she's back to the rocks all day. I tried the taping pics to the tank trick and I'm not sure it did anything. I guess the way I see it, they'll either go in it or not.

It should happen eventually... It took my two perc's a few months to discover my BTA...

My female perc hosts in a hidden corner in the bottom, and the male in the stalks of the pulsing xenia. The male is in it now after about 8 months.

Yup, not a natural host for any oc / perc clowns, but they often do move into BTAs in captivity.

Sometimes people suggest taping a pic of a similar clown onto the outside of the glass, behind the BTA. Idea being the clown will see the pic and go over to chase off the similar looking fish (pic), then the clown bumps into the BTA and discovers it.

Otherwise, just give it time. Kind of like watching water boil or grass grow :)

This is very similar to what I did and worked for me when my clowns didn't want to host anything. I taped a photo of a similar looking clown hosting the same kind of anemone to my tank facing in, and within less than 24 hours my ocellaris clowns were both buried in my GBTA looking happy as could be. It's sounds silly, but it seems to work.

My two clowns hung out in the bottom corner of my tank for months and ignored the anemone. I thought they just weren't going to take to it but one day I come home from work and the female was right in the middle of it. The male goes in it from time to time but he likes sitting on top of my mushrooms more?? Anyway, give it some time and they will take to it.

I guess i'll have to give it some time and see what happens. I'll look around for a centerfold pinup to hang on the outside of the tank.

I had an LTA that my clowns hosted then I took it out cause it ate 3 cleaner shrimps so I replaced it with an RBTA and it took my clowns about a month before they went into it..

Just give it time, My perc just yesterday started hosting in a nem thats been in there a couple months.

It took my clowns over a year to finally figure out that the BTA was the place to hang. Now they never leave it. Well the female does to gather food. It takes time. Depends on the fish.

HTH

The small male clown I just added a couple weeks ago is hosting my frogspawn.
I have a female that has only hosted a large toadstool.She hasn't gone near that since I moved it.
I think a lot has to do with personality.THe male whan he was in QT was digging holes in the substrate at the corners of the tank.I noticed this same action when the clown was in the tank at the LFS.
That's why I picked him.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back