150 Cube Build

ro_nicu

Non-member
Finally got to put my new tank up, plumbed everything, filled, transferred the 75G tank into it, rock, livestock and everything else alive.

It's a Marineland cube, about 3ftx 3ft foot print.
Square sump underneath with 3 chambers, one for the return / filter socks, one empty right now (hopefully for frags later down the road) and one for plumbing the return pump.
DC12000 return pump, plumbed externally to 2 flow edductors. the plumbing for these goes up behing the tank as both drilled pipes are used for the overflow - if I manage to food the apartment once more wife will MOVE ME INTO THE TANK, or at least she jokes that she will, ...
The overflow goes through an algae scrubber (which is still missing the lights)
2 LEd lights. Each had 72 LEDS, 24 each of Blue, White and Violet. I might add a 100W multichip that has an integrated arduino controller.
WP40 Jebao wavemaker for the flow, also have a WP25 that can be installed if needed.
3 x 300W heater, 2 in tank, one in the sump.

Have an Orca200 Skimmer that can be fed from the overflow as well but is not even installed yet.
Same goes for the calcium reactor.
JBJ ATO not plumbed in yet.
I am planning to hold on to the skimmer and give the tank a chance to run just with the algae scrubber to see if that would work.
On the matter of CA / ALK, is it better to plumb in the reactor or just dose 2 part?

My question is, did I overlook something that i will obviously need soon?

I will give it a try with skimmerless. Saves some space, there's way less noise and energy consumption is comparable.

The tank itself is awesome, problem is the space where it went is not ideal for a cube tank.

Took some pics yesterday but with only the blue LED on they look like outer space, ....
Will post some later today.

nice , if you have a skimmer keep it on hand . algea scrubbers from my understanding need to be pretty large in order to accomplish what you want . if it works I'd love to try i
t myself

about 100 sq in on each side of the screen, 25 3W red LED on each side, from the calculations i've seen online should easily handle 6-7 cubes of food a day, will update once it establishes itself.

on the other hand, does anybody use eductors or have any experience with them? I have a feeling that the 3/4in double eductor lockline I have now is undersized for the DC12000, especially considering than Jebao pumps don't put out that much pressure.

Keep in mind that scrubbers take time to ramp up and grow that nice thick green algae that you are hoping for. 2-3 months. I run an aqua remora hob on my sump. The scrubber drains into the chamber that I have it on so the water is skimmed straight away.

I have the same tank, just a piece of advice, if you can have the skimmer or anything else you will need to clean or take out frequently up to the front of the tank. Its a pain reaching in to the back to take the skimmer cup off to empty and clean it. If its not going in the stand then disregard.

The entire stand is taken up by a the sump ans the return pump, I wish I could fit something else in there but I don't think it will happen.

It should be prohibited to post a build thread without any picture. :D
Sounds like a great set up. But 3x300W heater? and two in the display?

yes, they just hang in there. House is at 72 and tank at 74; I am yet to see any of them actually turn on but i'd rather have them than come home one day and find everything dead - I don't pay too much attention to the tank lately, maintenance twice a week - scrubbing the algae and feeding a pulverized clam + 2 shrimp for the coral; wife feeds the fish every day.
Let me see if I can take some pics with the laptop, I haven't even seen the camera in months.
Building a garage so I don't have much time to spare.

took some with my phone, compressed on the laptop.
you can tell how much of a photographer I am, at least with the phone, ...

IMG_20140925_185814.jpg
IMG_20140925_185832.jpg
IMG_20140925_185854.jpg
IMG_20140925_185907(1).jpg
IMG_20140925_185907(1).jpg
IMG_20140925_185916.jpg

Back