2012 Elections/Yard Sale and A Wild Look @ Captive Reefs meeting...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Year end 2012 election meeting and Members yard sale. (Last scheduled meeting for the year)

The next BRS meeting will be held Saturday Dec 8th, at the Framingham Elks, 450 Union Ave, Framingham, MA. 12noon -4 PM - Members Yard sale

We will also be electing the BRS BOD for 2013. That means ALL officer positions will be up for election. Details about running, etc. are here:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?126656

Only paid members are allowed to vote and run for BOD

Tentative schedule for the meeting (this schedule may change, check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting):

12noon - 12:30pm - Meet and greet, yard sale registration, new members registration - folks milling about chatting about their tanks - library book signout and return - turn samples in for water testing -

12:00 PM - 1pm - Yard sale setup

1pm - 1:30pm - Announcements /2013 candidates make speeches

1:30pm -2:00pm Election held

1:30 - 4 pm - yard sale- general member to member reef chat, and cleanup

Reminder: we try our best to keep the meeting on time, but there are a lot of things that are out of our control, so the times are subject to change, do not take these times as gospel please. Check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting.

So, again the details:

Where:
Framingham Elks
450 Union Ave
Framingham, MA

When: Saturday, Dec 8th 2012
Time: 12 - 4 PM

Yard sale details:

The Yard sale will consist of Equipment you want to get rid of but we will also allow livestock

There will be a nominal table charge of $20 per table($10 for paid members) for anyone who wants to ‘lease space’ to set up a tank/yardsale table. This is a registration fee. You are generally expected to bring your own junk/tank/lighting/bags/extension cords/markers for the yardsale/tanks/water/towels for cleanup, etc.

Last edited:
Have we got a nice update for you with a little over a week away from the meeting... It took a while to confirm it but the BRS is proud to announce that Dr. Andrew Rhyne will be speaking at the meeting. Dr. Rhyne is the Assistant Professor of Marine Biology at Roger Williams University and is also a Research Scientist at the New England Aquarium.

arhyne.jpg

Along with his colleagues at the New England Aquarium they were the first to successfully breed the Queen Trigger in captivity. Some of his other research interests include marine ornamental aquaculture, live feed production, sustainability of marine ornamental fisherys, implications of larval form/structures on gene flow, taxonomy and phylogenetics of marine ornamental shrimp.

Dr. Rhyne's presentation will be titled A Wild Look @ Captive Reefs: An ecologically sound aquarium hobby? It will outline the state of the trade, with an overview of some of our recently published research, give an overview of our captive breeding at NEAQ/RWU and wild fishery improvement efforts, the difference between a sustainable industry and sustainability, discuss some of the concerned, crazies, and radicals out there and what they mean for the hobby. He will also touch on some of the legislation and environmental issues that will surely affect the reef hobby.

As a result here is the updated meeting schedule...

12noon - 12:30pm - Meet and greet, yard sale registration, new members registration - folks milling about chatting about their tanks

12:30 pm - 1:30pm - Dr Rhyne's presentation

1:30 pm - 2pm - Announcements /2013 candidates make speeches/Elections

2 pm - pizza

2 pm - 4 pm - yard sale- general member to member reef chat, and cleanup

Last edited:
The Framingham venue is located in a great place to do your holiday shopping. Definitely a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone :)

Stay tuned for some awesome raffle items.

Thinking of bringing a tank to the yard sale. Is electricity available? Do you bring lighting and fliters? How does everyone else transport their water? What are people bringing? Mushrooms? Corals?

Thinking of bringing a tank to the yard sale. Is electricity available? Do you bring lighting and fliters? How does everyone else transport their water? What are people bringing? Mushrooms? Corals?

Arrangements are usually made before the meeting. Folks will usually post the corals in the for sale section and bring them to the meeting.

Since this is a yard sale meeting, you can bring a tank if you want. There are outlets that you can use for lighting, powerheads, filters, etc.

Hi guys. I'm bring my SpecturaPure RO/DI 4 stage DI 80gpd machine to the yard sale. I have not used it in 6 years and it needs to leave my basement. I also have a 300 gallon truck water hauling tank. Goes in the back of your truck. I used in FL but will never use it again. If any one wants it let me know, I'll make you a great deal. See you the 8th.

I need to do some fragging so I'll be adding several frags of Liam's Papaya Cloves to the raffle

Liam's cloves.jpg

Definitely not the best pic but you get the idea.

You'll get some better pics if you do a search :eek:

The BRS reef chemistry testing kit has been 'rejuvenated'. I will be bringing it to this meeting and I will be there to test the tank water of BRS members. The cost (Payable directly to the BRS) will be $2 for specific gravity (salinity) and alkalinity (both tests for $2). $4 for calcium, magnesium, and phosphate (all 3). $5 gets you the 'works'. Minimum sample size is 250 ml (about a cup). DO NOT skimp on the volume or some tests might not be able to be performed. Make sure the sample goes into a CLEAN container or your results (particularly phosphate) may be meaningless. I recommend using only a clean zip loc bag.

I will attempt to test the samples at the meeting, but might run out of time as some of these tests take a considerable amount of time to get accurate results. If so, I will send you your data by PM within the next 24 hours on the forum provided you clearly write your username on your sample container.

I will be there from 12-3 PM. Please get your sample in as early as possible to facilitate the testing.

Details on the BRS testing methods:

The phosphate test is the low range spectrophotometric method (Hanna meter, good down to 0.03 ppm). The specific gravity is with an accurately calibrated refractometer. The calcium and magnesium are using the modified HACH test kit compared with a lab prepared standard. The alkalinity is using a titration with 100 mM acid to pH 4.2 using a calibrated pH probe/meter (the definition of alkalinity).

Having problems with phosphates? Well here's your chance to win some Elimi-Phos from Tropic Marin. We'll be raffling off some Elimi-Phos and Eilimi-Phos Longlife from Tropic Marin.

P2090002.jpg

One of each will be included in this month's raffle.

Make sure to keep an eye on this thread as we will be adding more great raffle items up until the meeting.

We'll also be adding a set C Journal Magazines by Anthony Calfo (Volumes 1 Numbers 1-4 & Volumes 2 Numbers 1-2). Pretty neat collection to add to your library :)

Just wanted to give Dr. Andrew Rhyne a huge Thank You for coming out and giving such an informative presentation. The BRS is very fortunate in having you come up for one of our meetings.

Yes Thank You very much for coming and hope to come down to Roger Williams soon as I only live 15mins away.

Back