250 watt Hamilton 14k SE

maxfischer

Instigator
Just fired up a new Hamilton 14k 250 watt SE bulb, what a nice color I am very happy. I had a 7-8 month old Radium 20k that I was happy with but wanted more growth from the corals. Anyone running them? What do you think?

i am running them... but 175 watt versions.

I like the color a lot.. especially when the bulb is new. Mine need replacing.. but i'm going all t5 so i wont be replacing them. All and all a good bulb... but for the price you pay for it i wish it gave a little better PAR readings.. maybe the 250 watt is better in that area (well obviously it is.)

I had them (in 250 watt SE) up until about a month ago - ran for a little over a year, and loved them.

I tried to reorder them but every place I looked, they were on backorder. I ended up doing something different.

I really liked the SPS growth I got from them, and didn't feel like I needed actinic supplementation. In my (untrained) opinion, it seemed to take a good 12 months to really degrade in brightness/coloration.

I run them over a couple of frag tanks, good bulb for the money imo. I tend to like more blue than a lot of people. I'd say that growth isn't all that bad with them also. I do have the frags up on racks though, not very far from the bulbs.

Last edited:
good point Don -

my stuff is fairly high up as well. Most of the lower stuff in my tank are LPS, shrooms, etc. Never really tried SPS down near the sand bed, so I don't know how well they'd do for growth at that depth.

Are any of you running double ended? From my experience their color seems to shift VERY fast (like 4 months) to the color of a 10k.

The 175 single end Hamilton 14k I run in the basement has held it's color for a year.

Are any of you running double ended? From my experience their color seems to shift VERY fast (like 4 months) to the color of a 10k.

The 175 single end Hamilton 14k I run in the basement has held it's color for a year.

nope, i'm SE... hasn't shifted color on me...or at least not to noticeably... not as intense anymore.. but that's to be expected when you run a bulb for a year.

Medic, yes I've ran there complete fixtures and like them as far as the halide/vho combos go. The 14 k 250s have good color but as a lot of 14ks go probably not the highest par. I have used both their 10k and 14k and would use both again. Nicky did you try ordering direct I havent had a problem getting them yet?

I like them,
I recently switched to Ushio 14k for the last bulb change and in my opinion I like the color of the Hamiltons better, but I get better growth out of the Ushio. I think the Hamilton is a better display tank bulb and the Ushio is a better frag tank bulb. As far as the fixtures go, I use them on my frag rack and display tank and think they are great. They have a pretty decent area of light distribution. I needed a really low profile light for my set up which is why I went with the hamiltons. I probably would have gone with a lumenarc if I hadnt needed the low profile due to how wide my tank is. I did have reoccuring problems with one of them periodically blowing bulbs, but I had dropped it into a tank at one point so theres probably some residual salt in there screwing things up periodically. The other 3 that I have work fine.

Back