90 Gal new set up questions ?

sconstant

Non-member
I have had my 90 gal set up for about a month now zero ammonia,nitrite and any where from 15-20 ppm nitrate, PH is around 8.2-8.3. I know the tank is cycled I have a domino and about 7 turbo snails with about 13 different hermit crabs. My tank has recently getting a lot of algae brown and green which i know is expected. My concern is some of the hair algae that has accumulated in areas on rock and glass and now my domino has white specks all over it. just looking for some insighht as to what I should/shouldn't be expecting in the months to come and if all this is normal and what to do with the domino since it has the specks on it. Thanks !

Brown algae is normal for a new tank, it's called diatom. It will naturally go away.

If your starting to grow hair algae already in that new of a tank you probably wanna check the phosphates and see where they are at. Do you use tap water? How long do you leave your lights on now to?

The white spots on your fish is probably ich, it's a parasite that pretty much any aquarist has dealt with. Can't say for sure without you posting a picture of your fish. Google ich and check it out, see if it looks like what's on your fish.

Thanks and I just added a phosban reactor last night, I tried to take a pic of him but he was hiding. It was sudden he was fine the other day. What do you think my light schedule should be. I put actinics on around 6:30 am then others at around 10:30 until about 7 pm then keep actinics on until 10 ish. I use a RODI system and all levels seem to be ok. He had a bunch of tiny specks so my friend said to keep lights off for today. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

I assume you have no coral right now so I would just honesty leave the lights off for a few days completely. The longer you leave your lights on now when the tank is finishing it's cycling process the more un needed algae your going to get. Seems like your leaving at least the actinics on for well over 12 hours and your whites for over 8 hours. This is a long lighting schedule to begin with, let alone for a new tank. My reef tank I run now from 130pm-11:30pm with 90 minutes ramp up/down times so my tank is only running at full capacity (my LEDs are only at 65%) for about 7 hours. What kind of lights are you running?

my tank.jpg

T5 high output 3 actinic and 3 whites

Back