A few thoughts for people setting up new tanks

FWIW i dont even run 1 heater nevermind 2 and havent in 3+ YEARS, with MH lighting and no basement sump they are not always needed and its another thing that i dont have to worry about and not to mention they draw a ton of power
LOL this makes absolutely no sense. Obviously you're leaving out some details for dramatic effect. Which given the topic of this thread, seems quite irresponsible to me. For the sake of any new reefers that come along, perhaps you could explain WHY you are able to run your tank this way.

While my situation may be different from reefried i also don't need to use a heater on my 75g. (Well i have one set up in case temp drops to much but it never goes on) My house temp is a very stable 73 degrees in winter, and add in the heat equipment gives off the tank will be about 75-76 degrees. I leave my canopy open when the lights (T5 X 4) are on which allows most extra heat to escape. my tank will hover between 75-77 in the winter time. So for the right conditions a heater can be optional, but i still have one as a safety net incase for whatever reason the tank dips below 73.

Still great list to follow even though there are always exceptions to the rules

hmmm never thought about that. might have to get the net for my RK2 still have room on it or upgrade to the elite. but my modem it 25ft away. any thought

No need to run cable you just need a wireless gaming adapter 35-100.00

I ran my old system for 6 years with no heater whatsoever.

Somewhat stable room temp, plus pump heat would keep the temp up. Fans on timers with the MH lights would kick up the evap rate and keep the temp from going too high.

Larger tanks that use MH can get by without having a heater usually since the MH keep the heat up and the loss of heat on a large tank is not as dramatic as on a smaller tank. For instance i never used a heater with my 240g tank. When i came here and started again with a 60g i needed a heater but since moving to my 92g i have a heater attached to the reefkeeper but it hasnt been on yet .

With that said a controller is, imo, one of the best purchases you can make for a reef tank. I wont ever have a tank without one now.

Didn't MarkO run his tank for years without a heater as well? I guess some systems are set up in a manner that would allow this, though mine certainly isn't one of them.

I will have to look into the no heater thing. Nobodies house in hotter than mine, not even your grandmothers. I have a woodstove in my LR, and I have MH lighting and my heater comes on all during the day. I might leave it alittle lower to see what happens.

On a couple of occasions my controller has emailed me at work to let me know something wasn't quite right and I could call home and ask the wife or daughter to do something (whatever the case may be). I couldn't imagine my eco-systems without a controller if for nothing else than to keep an eye on things and notify me. How many vacation nightmare stories have we heard on this board over the years? Lost count!!

I also have my heater shut off. Haven't had it running in a year and don't need it.

Due to the unreliability of heaters I have decided to change them out annually when I do the lights...

Got an AC Jr several months ago. Don't know how I lived without it. Temp very stable now, within .3 degrees. Tank is in livingroom near porch slider so heater does come on several times a day. The wavemaker option is awesome with a couple of Koralia Evos. Lighting control is awesome too. NO MORE POWER STRIPS WITH ALL THOSE TIMERS! I used to say controllers were stupid and KISS (keep it simple stupid) until I got one and started using it. I have since changed my mind. Could I live without one? Yes. Do I want to? No.

Last edited:
Hehe. Given the choice between heating my entire house to 75 degrees all day for the entire winter vs. having a few random heaters in the sump to pick up the slack at night... yeah, I'll stick with the heaters. :)

Although I totally agree that heaters definitely suck. Thank goodness for controllers!

Back