Adding Female Blue Jaw

dlux5life

Non-member
Hey Guys-

I already have a male Blue Jaw Trigger in my 90 gallon tank. I would love to add a female to the mix, but am not sure if she would have needed to been added at the same time as the male.

What are your thoughts / experiences with this?

Any tips of suggestions?...

I'd love for this guy to have a nice lady in his life!

Thank you,

DSCN0255-1.jpg

beautiful trigger. Does only the male get the yellow around the fins, adult coloration? I have one as well but doesn't have the yellow coloration. I inherited it and didn't really do any research other than if it was compatible with my tankmates.

Edt: Nevermind, just looked at some info. Males have the blue jaw and the yellow on the fins and females do not. I have a male since his jaw is blue but he doesn't have the yellow on the fins.

Last edited:
I believe they color up a lot more as they mature. I am planning to get a pair of these myself for my 6' 125. I'd like a pair of Sargassum triggers, but seems it is tough to find both males and females, and tougher to find younger/smaller ones. I sort of want a younger pair so I can watch them grow up. I won't go near a Crosshatch though. Far too expensive. Not worth it for me.

I am unsure how they'll behave if they aren't introduced at the same time... very good question. I think it is definitely worth a try. If possible, maybe divide part of the tank with an eggcrate barrier temporarily? That will give both fish time to be in the tank and see each other. Then after a short while, remove the barrier and hope for the best. If you have a quarantine tank next to the display so they can see each other for a few weeks between the tanks. That may help too. I did that with a clown pair. When they were both in the same tank, they instantly bonded as they already knew each other.

yes i believe that a male trigger has yellow and female stays all gray with some hint of blue

Yup..the females are really nice looking to and it would be really cool to see them together as a pair. Aparently 2 males in a tank can cause issues with agression. I think i'll go with the egg crate idea and see how that works.

Thank you!

Back