all my fish are breathing really fast

ffsteve

The tool man
why? came home from work this morning and i found all of the fish are breathing heavy, they all were fine on friday morning?
anyone have any answers????? water tested fine all 0 except nitrates 20 other wise no changes.
thanks steve

What's the temperature? Did you recently do a water change? Are you sure the powerheads are working properly to oxygenate the water?

+1 on what Jay said.

If all your levels, and temperature are fine then the only other thing I could think of would be a death in the livestock.

However usually livestock death results in poor water parameters but he said Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate were normal so IDK. Unless as you said, maybe something died which when killed releases a toxin?

What's the salinity at?
And was that a no on a recent waterchange?

Could work two ways. A recent waterchange could have not been RO/DI water and poorer quality water could have that effect on fish.

On the other hand, if you haven't recently done a waterchange, depending on how the skimmer is working, and how long it's been since the last waterchange, dirty water (which often you can't even see how dirty the water is but you can see what the skimmer pulls out) could maybe be the culprit.

I also suggest using nothing but RO/DI for top-off water too, whether that has anything to do with this or not.

Back