Another sick clownfish...

Skeeter7424

More corals than gallons
I hate to be posting this, but I am at a loss to what to do, so I come to you all for advice...A week and a half ago, almost two weeks, my female black clown was showing signs of what I thought was Ich. Nothing had changed in the tank, so I water changed as usual, and then added some garlic to their food (which she hates, but the male loves). Anyways, she has not improved at all, and now her eyes are clouding. She is not gilling, is not hiding, is not scratching, none of the well written about signs of other diseases/parasites. She is acting completely normal other than a changed hiding spot for the night. The male looks perfectly fine, as does my firefish and watchman. All parameters are where they always are. Attached are the best two shots of what I could show. Any ideas, I'll take suggestions. Thanks

...Skeeter...

DSC03686.JPG

DSC03687.JPG

I wa thinking velvet but that would not make sense it kills alot quiker than a week.I have had alot of experience with ich but this looks more severe than any ich I have had. If she i eating I would just leave her it may be very stressful to move her now. If you are going to treat her find out what she has there are different meds for different diseases.

Last edited:
yea thats the wierd thing, she shows NO signs of being sick or unhappy. Has eaten everytime I feed, still comes over and tail flicks me when I have a hand in the tank. I dont want to just go and medicate her for an unknown disease, but I need to take a step in some direction here. Thanks for the insight thus far...

...Skeeter...

I did not know the fish was sick for weeks but I learned about brook when I was looking for true sebae clowns from sir lanka. My first pair lasted two to three weeks and died the second pair the female died the second night and then the male three or four nights later. (The second pair was treated with formaldehyde from when it arrived and de-wormed for parasites ). I was not happy and gave up. So you are right Lisa. Would try a fresh water dip

I dont think it is Brook...brook looks a bit different, and takes them out fast. Plus with brook that bad the Fish would not be eating or acting normal at all. I have never seen a fish that covered with ick or oodinium that bad that would eat at all. That is a wierd one???? I would try dosing with Voogle. or at very least a FW dip...

mamma is still alive and kickin. still eating, acting fairly normal. her eyes have started to uncloud a little bit, spots on her outside are still there. no other fish are showing any signs of anything. again, we're just trying to wait it out. also going to FW dip her tonite. thanks all

...skeeter...

so again with the updates, mama is still alive. her eyes have unclouded a bit, but the spots on her skin have not slowed. we took b's advise and did a fw dip. also added the voogle dip that he suggested we try. we will see, again, this has been such a long issue, we are still hopeful.

...skeeter...

So if anyone was following this thread I wanted to throw you all an update. Big mama is STILL KICKING :) We are very pleased about this. We have talked to numerous aquariusts, both amateur and professional, and no one seems to understand what is going on with her. We have basically ruled out parasites, as it has been almost a month since the spots first showed and there has been no life cycle, or death of the fish to speak of. She still has some spots on her, but again still continues to eat like a pig. She never went back to her old sleeping spot under the filter, and has since (though not hosted) taken a liking to sleeping on or against my scoly. No other fish have shown any signs of anything. We're just pleased she is still with us, it would have been heartbreaking otherwise. Thanks for all the concern and PMs about her.

Cheers
...Skeeter...

im pretty sure my clowns just got brookynella. I noticed they had a whitish clearish simecoat peeling off their body and within a couple hours of seeing this both clownfish had died. then my blenny died the following day.

Good to hear you clown is still doing good!

im pretty sure my clowns just got brookynella. I noticed they had a whitish clearish simecoat peeling off their body and within a couple hours of seeing this both clownfish had died. then my blenny died the following day.

Good to hear you clown is still doing good!

Brook is actually how the second generation of our tank started. We got brook about 7 months ago, which killed everything in a matter of days. While the tank was sitting fallow we decided to spend all the money we would have spent on fish, on new equipment. So now we have a mixed reef. It was painful looking at the tank run empty for 6+ weeks, but in the end, it was a learning experience.

I hope you meant to say vodka drip (or dose) and not dip... please don't dip your fish in vodka .

Not vodka, voogle. Its a new med that has come out that people are raving about that we decided to try. It did clear the fish up nicely. Some people may call it snake oil, but I liked its results, and a local LFS is dosing it to a trio of sick fish to test it as well. But no, we didn't try to get my clownfish drunk :)

Thanks for the kind works all. We are happy to see her looking normal again. On an odd note, I think she might have decided to host my bleeding apple scoly...weird!

...Skeeter...

Back