any experience with parrot fish, reef safe with caution???

mvallee

Non-member
Love Parrot fish but always read no way no how reef safe, these are the fish that chomp up dead coral and rocks and make the sand in the ocean but this posting on Divers Den has me wanting.

Caribbean Striped Parrotfish 9" max and reef safe is listed as with caution, my Blue throat trigger went carpet surfing a couple weeks ago so looking for a replacement to add to my 180G, anyone with experience or thoughts on this?

parrot.JPG

I have no experience with parrot fish as I always thought they were not reef safe.
Just look at that beak! I would not even mess with it. Probably will take a chunk out of your hand.

No personal experience, but I believe I've also read that parrotfish can/will scratch acrylic tanks....

Parrot fish bite off chunks of rock to eat the coral on it as well as snails . and yeah probably your hand too lol beautiful fish though

Thanks, I was able to restrain myself on this purchase
Probably going to go with another trigger either another male Blue throat or red tail trigger and hope to be lucky like my last one who was a model citizen in the tank.

Back