Any one using AI NERO 5 Powerhead on larger tanks.

daves-reef

Non-member
I am going to need to add new powerheads at some time.
Looking for any experience with nero 5 specifically on large 48 or larger tanks.
Thinking about 2 one on each side of 120 gallon.

I have one on a Waterbox 130. Very happy with the performance and ease of adjustments through the app, but the magnets suck on 1/2” or thicker glass and there’s no real adjustability for direction as they advertise.

I was doing research on them as well thinking of replacing my MP10 and saw a ton of reviews that fish get sucked in the back and chopped up. I see a ton of $15-$20 3D printed guards being sold everywhere...

I was doing research on them as well thinking of replacing my MP10 and saw a ton of reviews that fish get sucked in the back and chopped up. I see a ton of $15-$20 3D printed guards being sold everywhere...
I saw those fish issues. I would get the guards if I did go with them. My concern is they may not have the flow for 48" tank. I would be getting 2. One for each side if I did go that route.

I saw those fish issues. I would get the guards if I did go with them. My concern is they may not have the flow for 48" tank. I would be getting 2. One for each side if I did go that route.

I have the RPM on a lagoon and it's flow is bananas and i have had fish deaths due to it as well. I have to find the mesh or buy a new one for it as a precaution but great flow for sure on a 48"x24"x16" IMO.

I have the RPM on a lagoon and it's flow is bananas and i have had fish deaths due to it as well. I have to find the mesh or buy a new one for it as a precaution but great flow for sure on a 48"x24"x16" IMO.
I saw these two links for guards.

IDK if that would work on the RPM power head though.
Oh I thought you were discussing Nero 5 which is what I am interested in peoples experience with. I already have tried the coral box RN-1 same as RPM. Ok for back but not happy with flow if used on sides.

Oh I thought you were discussing Nero 5 which is what I am interested in peoples experience with. I already have tried the coral box RN-1 same as RPM. Ok for back but not happy with flow if used on sides.
yes THEY'RE VERY SIMILAR in design and i believe the flow is the same approach just don't know specifics on it.

Flow is more than enough for a 4’ tank. I never got it above 1700 GPM, which I think was 40%. Fish deaths? I’ve read those too, but the only way a fish should ever get stuck to a powerhead is if it’s already compromised, healthy fish can easily swim away from these things.

Flow is more than enough for a 4’ tank. I never got it above 1700 GPM, which I think was 40%. Fish deaths? I’ve read those too, but the only way a fish should ever get stuck to a powerhead is if it’s already compromised, healthy fish can easily swim away from these things.
I agree with that on the fish death. But those things are pretty strong. Flow is awesome for sure.

I have 3 Nero 5 with the original magnets. 2 on a Reefer 250 and 1 on a Reefer 170. Max flow is 50% random for all 3. Flow is gentle even at 50%.

2 of the 3 have randomly stopped without sending a notification. They started working again after resetting the power to them. This has happened a few times. I assume a snail got stuck and the ph auto turned off the flow.

The magnets are weak and the angle adjustment is restricted because of this. They are easy to clean and very quiet. Snails do get stuck in the back intake area once in a while.

Fish of Hex just added a few to his main display. He has the new magnets which appear to be much stronger than the original magnets that I have.

Back