Any solutions to this...

Vinman75

Non-member
I am currently cycling my live rock in a bare tank (no substrate) with powerheads and protein skimmer goig and have been waiting for the ammonia andNitrate to reach their levels. Issue is that the rock I am using has given off a white dust which is on parts of the bottom of my tank. I am having issues in getting it out as the gravel vacum that I have doesn't seem to get the suction I need and dust is too fine to be scooped out. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or is it imperative that I get it out of the tank either way?

I am currently cycling my live rock in a bare tank (no substrate) with powerheads and protein skimmer goig and have been waiting for the ammonia andNitrate to reach their levels. Issue is that the rock I am using has given off a white dust which is on parts of the bottom of my tank. I am having issues in getting it out as the gravel vacum that I have doesn't seem to get the suction I need and dust is too fine to be scooped out. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or is it imperative that I get it out of the tank either way?

If you can't suction it, the only real way would be to empty the tank.

did you rinse the rock before you added it?

if there is dust coming off of it like you say that may just be decaying organic material if it is infact live rock, if not and it was just rock then you should have rinsed it and the dust wouldve been avoided and that is what it sounds like this happens to be.

if you see it settling down in a barebottom tank then that means you have deadspots there and should redirect/add powerheads to make it so you never have material settling at the bottom of the tank or as soon as you have live stock the bottom will get a brownish yellow waste color.

Eddie

You could try just a hose with no vacuum attachment, also redirect flow to stir it up.

GoodLuck Derek

buy a turkey baster. they are great for sucking up hard to reach things and can be used to blow stuff off your rock later :D

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the responses. I will give the turkey baster a try. I had once read that somewhere as well but had forgotten about it. If not will just leave. I didn't know if leaving would cause problems with the cycling? Thanks again.

Back