Apex just saved me!

LaborOfLove

Non-member
I've had the apex for a year now and it was fun to play with, run my ato, and monitor temp and ph, but I never really expected that something would go wrong. In fact, I wasn't even sure if I had the text message alerts set up properly.

Then today I'm out snow blowing and I get a text that the tank temp has dropped.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388775037.258525.jpg

I run inside to check it out and Sure enough my 6 month old heater had failed. Fortunately I was home and caught it right away. Threw in the old heater and were back up to temp. Totally makes the Apex worth every penny!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I had the same thing happen to me when I had a larger tank. Once I had pH was acting strange went home from work sure enough ato and return pump failed.
Apex was the best.

With today's technology and the advancement of aquarium controller, we can reduce the chance of a tank crash significantly. I always tell people, spend the money on a controller rather than additive for the tank.

Excellent. I'd love to hear other ways folks have been saved by their apex too. Definitely thinking of investing more into it now. How has it saved anyone else?

Great catch! I have a Back up heater in my sump as well.....double protection!

I just got mine for Xmas and I love everything about it and I am sure I will have a story like this one day . I just hope not any day soon!! Lol but I can say right now that it is the best investment I have made for a tank. I am only running a 8 gallon so I got the jr version but I am already looking into upgrading it for ph / orp . My next investment in the next few weeks is a AI Nano . I can't wait !!

It may cost a little money up front, but just look at the savings down the road.

It has taken many companies to realize that they need disaster recovery, redundancy, process and procedures etc to avoid major mishaps.

Always good to have a spare heater, pump, RO etc. Or even better to have two heaters in your tank/sump depending upon your set up.

Sounds stupid and overkill, but having an emergency check off list is always a good thing. Laminate it and leave it under your tank in the stand.

Good thing to have if you’re not home something happens where you need to walk a loved one through something. Always easier if they can just read it or grab it to refer to the document.

I am really glad for you that your investment paid off.

Funny had a similar experience with my rkl although the reason the alarm went off was because of the lite temp in actuality it was because my sump needed to be topped off lol temp of the air 76.
Little controller hack to use as a bootleg low water level indicator lmao
Got that all fixed up now a.t.o back in action

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

This is making me want to get a controller now..... Hmmmmm

You should get one, but also have additional heaters on hand. I use 3 100W heaters in a 40 Breeder with a total volume equal to 60 gallons. If one fails, the other two can handle the work.
I am in the process of re-building my tank and will have 2 return pumps in the new set up. If one fails, the other one will keep going and keep the main tank warm (all heaters are in sump). The new set up will also have one heater hidden behind the rocks, just because.

and everything is controlled by a controller (which I also have double). In the new set up one will control 2 heaters and return pump, and the other will control another two heaters and the second return pump. Everything electronic or mechanical can and will fail.

Okay gotchya!! So what affordable, or should I say reasonable price controller that isn't too crappy and is reliable would you guys recomend? I am looking to do 2 heaters, a temp probe, ph probe and text to phone monitor capability for alerts. I don't want to buy one tag will limit me for future add ons

I definitely think that for everything the apex offers it is actually reasonably priced. IMHO, Save up and get the best. It's what I did and I'm very happy thus far. It should last a log time from what I hear and is easily expandable.

Back