best ideas to catch scopas tang

jrmx635

Non-member
I like the fish and he bothers none of the fish in my tank but,
He beat up my copperband until it got so stressed it died.
I couldn't get either one out.
I tried net,bait and wrecked my aquascaping trying to catch them.
Now it's just he and I and I'm not happy with him.
So
How good do the fish traps work?
Are they worth the money or can I make my own?
(yes I can work with acrylic)
Any baetter ideas? maybe 38 special?44 magnum??

I wouldn't go with the 38 special or the 44 magnum too much for the job. A harpoon should do it. :)

Fish traps work well if you can bait the fish in. It may take a couple of tries though. If you have the time and the resources you can most definitely make your own, if not they can be purchased. If you DIY one you can customize it to suit your needs.

Be really careful with a net.

The white spots on the tail are actually hard barbs and can get caught in netting, making for a very stressful time for everybody involved.

I like the fish and he bothers none of the fish in my tank but,
He beat up my copperband until it got so stressed it died.
I couldn't get either one out.
I tried net,bait and wrecked my aquascaping trying to catch them.
Now it's just he and I and I'm not happy with him.
So
How good do the fish traps work?
Are they worth the money or can I make my own?
(yes I can work with acrylic)
Any baetter ideas? maybe 38 special?44 magnum??
Check out JimmyJ's fish trap project:
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57898
Traps like this one work well, from what I've heard. JimmyJ has had good success with his.
Put a little food in the acrylic box, wait for the right fish to swim in, drop the lid!

The biggest thing with fish traps is patience, luckily most of my fish aren't that bright, they think it's some sort of carnival ride.

The red light at night should allow you to see what your doing, but not spook the fish like a regular light. Not sure on other sources, but if you pick up an army surplus flashlight (army navy store) it should come with red lense covers in the bottom below the batteries.

And yea, IME fish traps work great as long as your a little patient. The one in the thread Moe linked is a med sized one that I made for another reefer, but I have a larger one that I loan out all the time. LMK if you want to give it a shot?

The Limited Edition jimmyj7090 trap work like a charm! :D That is how I got the Clown Tang out of my 120 after two months of trying with a net. You can also get a red light at Lowe’s. I picked up a led flash light for twenty bucks or so. One red light & six white led lights. They can be on independent from each other.

Last edited:
Back