Brittle star question???

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
I have a large brittle star (redish brown color) and I am wondering if they will eat fish? Should I worry about this at ANY point?

thanks

I have two of the same. I'm curious also, as I have lost numerous shrimp including peppermints, cleaner, pistol, and a yellow watchman goby, among other things. I have no known predators in my tank other than these two star fish. I'm kinda thinking of evicting them.

i had a green one that ate two chromis and a cleaner shrimp

off topic but on your avatar, is that the guy who fell into a nailgun and survive? i saw it on the news the other day. Its amazing how he survive with all those nails in his head.

Yes a large brittle star will eat fish if they can catch them. I have read somewhere that they will prop themselves up in a cave or similar place and when an inspecting fish comes in to sleep under them for the night, wham fish food.

As mentioned, green brittle stars, and larger ones at that, will trap and eat fish. They set up in a trap like posture and wait for fish to swim below them. They then pounce on them and consume them. I've not heard of any problems with other brittle stars. I've never heard of this problem with serpents. The big greens tend to be the culprits. However, ANY predator will prey on your livestock if not properly fed. I have a serpent and brown brittle in my tank. I ensure that they are fat and happy by target feeding them. If they are fed properly, they will probably overlook your fish as a food source. If they are starving...anything is game.

David

Back