broccoli smell coming from newly started tank

J

jokersplayground

Ok so i just started a tank with all dead rock, rinsed sand, and ro/di water. For some reason it smells just like broccoli in the tank. As i was adding water i started smelling it. So i thought maybe it is my ro unit but i smelled a fresh batch of it and it does not smell. I am stump. I just started the cycling today. It took me 3 days to fill the tank though. Im hoping you guys may be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

Probably die off.
Any chance you could boil it outside and sun bake for a week or two, then re-cure in a separate container w/heat &power head?

It dont stink up the whole house. You can only smell it if you sniff the tank

you should probably have cooked the rock. By cooking, I don't mean throw it in the oven. But rather, cycle it in a tub in the basement with no lights or anything. Just water movement and a skimmer.

I used ro water. It was dry for 3 weeks

If the rock was live, then dried for three weeks you can probably expect it to gradually stink a LOT more because it's likely full of quite a bit of dead but not fully rotted organics.

I agree, I'd take that rock out and cook it for a while. IME that cooking can take up to a few months and you don't want that happening in your tank with livestock in the smelly stew.

Woke up this morning took a sniff and the smell is gone. Thats weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wouldn't trust it. Ive had issues using dead rock that wasn't properly cured before. In the long run, I ended up still basically needing to cook the rock, though this occurred in the tank, I just didn't have anything alive for 2 months. This was way back when I first got in to the hobby and well before I knew of BRS.

Yea i dont plan on getting any live stock for a long time. I want to get a few more pieces of equipment which it will take me a couple of months to get. These rock i had before in my old tank they where in that tank for i think 4-5 months and they was still white in color as they are marco rock. I dont have a tub i can put them in to cook. Ill just run carbon if it gets out of hand again.

Back