BTA now bubbly!

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Well we've noticed that since I've rescaped the tank our BTA now has bubble tips. I don't know if it's because it just likes where it is so perfectly or what but it sure is nice having it look like a BTA now...

I almost made like a hole for it in the rockwork... I'll try to snap a quick photo...

here's a couple of before pics...

Attachments

• clown%203.jpg
    clown%203.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 190
  • FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 190
now some bubbly pics...

Attachments

• bta2.jpg
    bta2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 184
  • bta.jpg
    bta.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 187
  • bta big.jpg
    bta big.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 185
It's a total mystery to me.

Currently in my display, at any given time, you'll see somewhere between 25-75% bubble tips (thats with 12 plus nems).

I didn't see bubble tips on my old systems, on which I used IO salt. When I switched over to my new system that was all tropicmarin salt I saw bubbles for the first time. Always some bubble tips since then, but also always some non bubble tips as well.

I didn't see bubble tips on my old systems, on which I used IO salt. When I switched over to my new system that was all tropicmarin salt I saw bubbles for the first time. Always some bubble tips since then, but also always some non bubble tips as well.

Great observation. I use IO salt and never see bubbles. I might slowly change salt in the future. Too many issues with IO.

BTW awesome pictures Dave.

I've read that when they bubble its becuz there in a really good spot under the light and there's good water quality. Less need for light and food to the tentacles dont need to be open as much.

There has never been an explanation for why they bubble or do not that has held up from tank to tank. Even in the wild you will see bubbled ones next to non bubbled. They do tend to bubble shortly after moving, but might not stay that way. The majority of them in captivity stay mostly non bubbled. One exception was the outdoor, natural sunlight tank in Hawaii. When their BTAs were moved out there they almost all stayed bubbled most of the time.

Also, when IDing anemones, be aware that magnificas can bubble too.

You mean bubbly like this?

DSC01534 Medium Web view.jpg

DSC01535 Medium Web view.jpg

I wonder where I got this beautiful BTA??

Thank you Dave ;)

Last edited:
Its theroized they bubble when the are defensive. Newly introduced specimens or something environmentally has changed that may put them on the "defense". Additionally new specimens that are fed tend to bubble more, maybe as a way to prevent having their meal stolen by filling in the gaps between their tenticals. There is no evidence showing that an animal that does or does not bubble is healthy or not. Nor is there enough substantial evidence to support the afore mentioned either, although IMO I agree with it, its just a theory. Mine bubbles after I aquascape, then shortly after it stops and doesnt do it again. Its been 8 months since I have seen it bubble, of course its been 8 months since I aquascaped my tank.

Same anemone

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0118-1.jpg

You mean bubbly like this?

View attachment 41574

View attachment 41575

I wonder where I got this beautiful BTA??

Thank you Dave ;)

Man that's looking sweeeeeeeeeeeet... Glad it's addapted to your tank and bubbling up Brian...

Its theroized they bubble when the are defensive. Newly introduced specimens or something environmentally has changed that may put them on the "defense". Additionally new specimens that are fed tend to bubble more, maybe as a way to prevent having their meal stolen by filling in the gaps between their tenticals. There is no evidence showing that an animal that does or does not bubble is healthy or not. Nor is there enough substantial evidence to support the afore mentioned either, although IMO I agree with it, its just a theory. Mine bubbles after I aquascape, then shortly after it stops and doesnt do it again. Its been 8 months since I have seen it bubble, of course its been 8 months since I aquascaped my tank.

I always seem to be re-scaping my tank, esp when I was out of work for 11 weeks; it just didn't look nice to me and I had time. The BTA never moved the whole time (knock on wood) and it wasn't until this last and final (for now) re-scape that it's bubbled up. Also all the other times I re-scaped it never bubbled up. Who knows? I just like how it looks! :D

It's a total mystery for me too. If I do something drastic in the tank, it will bubble up. Also, when I feed, sometime it will bubble up but then it's gone again.
No one have a scientific answer to this really.

It's a total mystery for me too. If I do something drastic in the tank, it will bubble up. Also, when I feed, sometime it will bubble up but then it's gone again.
No one have a scientific answer to this really.

I dont mean to be off topic here.....

But everytime you post. I read your words and I can only hear them as if Vageta was actually saying it.. Its weird HAHAH

BUT.... the bubble tip are cool, I hope I can have some in my tank once the damn cycle starts and maybe a new light fixture.

Back