bulkhead fitting for 1/4" RO/DI tubing

Spudsly

BRS Member
I am curious how people handle making water tight lines for 1/4" tubing, for instance in top off containers or what have you. I haven't been able to locate any plastic fittings that seem like they'd provide a water tight connection.

Thanks. I saw these but my issue was this: Note: "These come with a plastic nut and do not come with a gasket. They are intended for dry applications such as running a tube through a tank stand, etc."

I wonder if buying a gasket for it would be sufficient for wet purposes.

I assume your looking to seal the fitting hole as well as the tube, the cleanest way to do this would be to use a 1/4 inch "Bulkhead Compression Fitting" but they can be pricy if your looking for stainless steel. You can find NPT bulkhead fittings in 1/2 inch NPT size and adapt down to 1/4 NPT and use a push type fitting, these are available at McMaster and other places.

Jim

Thanks. Should I buy a washer for it? This seems to have a similar description (on the JG site) about dry use, but plenty of reviews mention it working wet.

Sometime a bit of teftlon tape works wonder as well. If you don't mind the look or the permanent connection, use epoxy around the fitting. I've done it in the past.

This is going into glass I assume? If so I'd suspect an oring on the wet side would work provided the hole was sized properly.

If you are going into plastic/acrylic then just drilling and threading the plastic with an npt tap will work.

I've used those 1/4" bulkheads many times with no problems. Just add an Oring on the flange side.

You can also use a 1/2" threaded blukhead and pick up a 1/2" MPT x 1/4" jon guest fitting from HD/Lowes.

This is going into glass I assume? If so I'd suspect an oring on the wet side would work provided the hole was sized properly.

If you are going into plastic/acrylic then just drilling and threading the plastic with an npt tap will work.

Going into plastic. I'd never heard of an "npt tap" (never really considered how threaded holes are made. I'll check out how expensive they are at home depot.

Last edited:
Haha, male pipe thread. I was suggesting a regular bulkhead with a commonly available fitting to make it work with 1/4" tubinng.

We do have a FPT tap in the. CLub library, but I don't recall if it's 1/2" or 3/4"

Npt. Is short for national pipe thread. Pipe thread is tapered so as you tighten it it becomes a more secure fitting. A quarter inch pipe thread tap probably cost 4 or $5. A quick Google will show you how to use it. Please make sure the plastic that you are drilling into has enough thickness to take a thread. Ie it's tough to thread a brute trash can

I have a couple of those John guest bulkhead in my water container. They don't come with gasket. Just swing by a big box store and get those 3/4" faucet gasket, they fits fine.. You can also spray the metal nut with paint or something to prevent its from rusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back