Bursa Trigger

Triggerfish said:
derek,,i apologize for the rather aggressive tone in response..i should have attempted to explain why i do not see a problem based on experience with this particular species.

no worries at all. :)

Without any heated commentary, I would agree that even for a short period of time, this trigger will not be happy at all in such a small tank. I had a Picasso trigger for quite a while in a 65, and I always thought that he just looked like he wanted more swimming room.

They are extremely active fish, and are always out swimming the full length of the tank, seemingly no matter what size tank it's in. I remember the guy I got him from had him in a significantly larger tank than mine, and he did the same thing.

That said, if you only plan to keep him in a 29 for a short time, and plan to get a larger tank in short order, I don't think it will be a huge problem.

here's a bit more cut and dry logic on this for folks that are familiar with the Rhinecanthus triggers general growth rates from 1-3 yrs.

for simplicity sake, i am only going to account for the length of the fish and not overall size of height and girth. an adult will be much more full bodied that will basically make up for the % of tank width/height differences.
since most recommended between a 90-100g for an adult, i will presume that the 6 footer used for reference will suffice.

Adult
72" tank minimum for adult bursa (8") = 11% tank length

Juvi 1-3 yrs
30" tank (1.5") = 5% tank length
Year 1: fish is 33% larger = 6.5% tank length
Year 2: fish is 66% larger = 8.3% tank length
Year 3: fish is 133% larger = 11.5% tank length

that is basically the time that the fish should be moved. some will grow slightly quicker some slower.
Also,,typically the 6 footer would not be a species only and the fish will have other mates.

Again, this is only for those interested in an upgrade over a couple of years. It really doesn't have to be within a week of buying the tiny fish.
ALso this is related to this trigger family only, Balistoides triggers will grow much quicker over a shorter time, at least mine did.

gobroke if your still around, let us know how this turns out.

Hey, sorry I havent been on the forums in a while, been working and in class straight through since thursday. The Bursa is still at the store, and He is very active, swimming about the tank with his small damsel tankmate all day. He actually goes up in the overflow to sleep/hide at night (the tanks overflow is accessible from underneath, its some kind of corporate snap-on POS). I keep him fat and happy by putting feeders in there a couple times a day, and the damsel cleans up the mess he makes, although im suprised he doesnt go after the damsel, maybe they became friends or something, haha.

Anyways, I'm well aware of the requirements needed for a trigger, but I probably won't have the space for him, and my g/f just stole the empty 29 over the weekend to make into another leopard gecko tank (she has 10 of them!), so unfortunately he is still hangin out in the store. The sad part about it is that while most of our employees know a lot about saltwater fish, the general manager of the store does not, and will probably sell him to someone with too small of a tank (he recently sold a 3-4" undulated trigger to a kid with a 30g cube community tank, against my recommendations, with the idea of "as long as you have lots of rock and places for it to hide, it will be fine").

Back