Cape Cod - new member

susan2626

Non-member
Hi everyone. I moved to Mashpee area 3 years ago - I had an amazing and fabulous custom 97G reef for many years in Connecticut. I loved it and miss reefing very much. I am now thinking of setting up a new tank here on Cape. I'd love to connect with anyone nearby since we have a very limited # of resources here for livestock, rock and supplies and I need to consider that carefully when I decide what size, type of tank. If anyone lives on Cape and wants to talk, I'd be most grateful. (Already in touch with Rob @ Seascapes and know of the great resources 2+ hours away but was hoping there were other hidden gems!) Please pm me if you can help! Thanks very much

Attachments

• old ct tank.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 439
PS - Cape Maid Farms in Hyannis used to have a great SW section but due to plumbing problems it is all drained. TBD whether or not they will set it back up. Think they are looking for some to fix the plumbing. Currently they only have 1 75g with a few nice small fish.

Hi Susan,

Not much here on the Cape we do a lot of mail order, every time I go to Cape Maid they tell me the salt will be up and running in two months same story for at least a year now. Welcome nice to have Cape members I'm just the next town over.

Jim

Hi Susan,

Falmouth Pet center has a few SW tanks but they are not very well kept. Petco in Falmouth also has some SW tanks and can order fish for you but Im also not a big fan of their tanks even though Ive seen worse at other petco locations. Coral is almost non-existent on cape and will need to travel or mail order for new frags. I have some corals (SPS & LPS) I can get you started with some small frags for free when you are ready just dont forget about me when you build your own collection up someday. Look up Dong (user name Dz6t) here who has amazing frag tanks and often sells small frags for $5-$10 and is always worth the trip to Concord.

- Dave
From Falmouth

Thanks Jim and Dave! As soon as I decide on the build - looking at the Red Sea new Reefer Series (sweet) or an Innovative Marine or Fluval M90 plug an play.. Will keep everyone posted - and of course won't forget new friends who share frags when the time comes!

(PS I go to Falmouth stores and Cape Maid often as I have a dog who needs things and I keep a small eheim nano 9g freshwater. I wouldn't get anything s/w from either of them. As far as frags, I will continue to do what I did before - softies, anemones and fish. Not an SPS kind of girl! Thanks again. W

I have alot of good luck with fish at petco in falmouth. Get corals from other members, let me know when you are up and running and ill see what i can frag

Barnstable reefer here.

Living on Cape makes this a long distance hobby. I get all my fish online from divers den. I get corals from other members here and from Greg at Underwater World in Taunton. I haven't been up there in a while but he is a great resource and has great corals and prices.

Welcome to the cape. I mail order all my dry goods from brs. And go off cape for fish. There is a
Great place just over the NH line. And a great guy for corals in the Bedford area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came across this thread. I joined BRS last month in search of fellow Cape Cod reefers. My son and I have 3 tanks going now. 29, 40 and 65 gallons. We have accumulated a few hundred frags and have started to grown them out. We have started fragging some of them as well, so would love to trade frags with our fellow cape cod/SEMA reefers. Finally got around to taking photos and setting up a dropbox. Let me know if interested and I can send drop box link.

Back