Cheato

MCB85

BRS Member
When is a right time to add cheato? Is their a specific time frame that it would benefit the tank best. Still in the early stage of getting my tank setup.

There may be differing opinions, but I've set up an active refugium at inception in each of my last three tanks as soon as I began cycling our tanks. I've found that the extra buffer of the refugium helps with a "soft" cycle which is less extreme and shorter.

Some folks may say you should wait until after cycling, and that a more aggressive/traditional cycle will build up a stronger ecosystem of nitrifying bacteria. I don't find this argument as compelling as long as you're committed to keeping your refugium running and don't suddenly remove it.

I setup our current tank in December and had a lit refugium setup within a few weeks. It's now producing about a softball size amount of chaeto which I'm removing each month. This is from a small Biocube 32. The small tank doesn't allow for larger reactors or skimmers, so this is and water changes are my primary nutrient export.

I personally don't think there's a wrong answer to when or even if you add a refugium. You should add macroalgea or a refugium when your time/budget/enthusiasm allows. You can have a successful tank without using macroalgea or a refugium, but I've always found it easier and beneficial, so I start one right away.

I added mine early and had to ditch it. My conclusion was that it was stripping the water of nutrients. Turns out I never had a high nutrient problem. If I my nutrients end up increasing too high I’ll add it back in.

Back