Chromis-Survival of the Fittest

Same problem here, think it might have to do with the size of the fish. The first ones I had all small to medium would pick and kill like everyone else said. The last 5 all introduced 6 months ago have been fine. They even got along with the one surviving green chromis. Again these are the biggest chromis I have seen anywhere. I got them from petsolutions.

3 down to 1 in a week.
I've read that they need a constant supply of food.Like 3-4 feedings a day in order to stay happy and not kill each other.

I just added 3 more to the 3 currently in my tank (which have been there for ages). After reading this, I hope they won't start picking on each other.

I run an open top tank as well, and had one chromis jump. I wasn't there when it happened so I'm not sure whether it was scared, or was just so happy it decided to try some acrobatics.

how is it the pet shop can keep 50 of them in a twenty gallon aquarium and they seem to get along fine and when you put three of them in a hundred gallon tank they kill each other? is the pet shop feeding them magic brownies?

Look closer and longer at the school of fish. You'll notice the pecking behavior and the marks on the fish. A good LFS will not let their dead fish float around during the opening hours.

how is it the pet shop can keep 50 of them in a twenty gallon aquarium and they seem to get along fine and when you put three of them in a hundred gallon tank they kill each other? is the pet shop feeding them magic brownies?

I haven't had a compter for a couple of weeks and guess I missed out on this thread. I would have to second a school of chalk basslets. I got 1 for my first fish way back when and it was awesome. I could only imagine how much better a school of them would be. Unfortunatly after about 2 1/2 years it kept getting pop-eye and finally passed away after the 3rd or 4th bout with it (kept getting better in QT but came back in DT)

Chalk bass plan to be the first schooling fish I add when I get a house that can support a large aquarium...

The dead and dying are removed by the hour or day.
Unless of coarse it's a chain store.Then it's let the cannabalism commence.:rolleyes:

Back