Clean and check those float valves

Leroy

Pres. NE Matchcover Club
Had a situation occur from a float switch that was obstructed from working. Although my float switch is encased in a pill bottle to prevent any snails from accidentally stopping it from working or activating it. I found a bristle worm wrapped around the shaft in the float switch that prevented it from floating. I never would have thought that a bristle worm would take up residence in the float switch.

An error in the title "float valve" where it should say "float switch". Sorry for the confusion.

Are they in your display or sump?

And I agree, float switches should be checked weekly to avoid malfunction/flooding.

Most likely there's bristle worms in both my refugium and my display. They've been know to be a real problem to both animal and corals and on the other hand they've been know to be good scavengers. Anytime that I do find one I do remove it just for a peace of mind to know the population is decreased probably in a small amount though. Not an easy pest to eradicate, yet there are trapping methods.

Most likely there's bristle worms in both my refugium and my display. They've been know to be a real problem to both animal and corals and on the other hand they've been know to be good scavengers. Anytime that I do find one I do remove it just for a peace of mind to know the population is decreased probably in a small amount though. Not an easy pest to eradicate, yet there are trapping methods.

I leave them alone unless they're over 3", smaller ones are good scavengers and sand stirrers.

Are they in your display or sump?
Wasn't sure if this was trick question leading to the cons of bristle worms. I knew they were good scavengers for the tank and also knew that in large lengths/size they can be a problem.

Better yet. Get the air pressure activated level sensors. Tsunami AT-1's. Champion sells them for about $60 I believe.

Back