clown about to croak?

My clown was doing the same thing because I did a newbie mistake.
I did not have enough water movement breaking the surface of the water.
You have to have enough water movement that the surface of the water is moving like waves. This is how the fishies get oxygen.
(I'm a newbie, so this info might not be 100% accurate)

Certain kinds of skimmers with venturis (lots of bubbles), an air stone, water agitating the surface, yup....those are all things that will help aerate the h20

k, ill try that , i threw a pwr head in there ...just blowing air in...im going to run it a few mins and see what happens.

Remember heat also decreases the amount of oxygen in the water so you might want to aim a fan over the water to lower the temp if it is hot out.

ammonia?
Ammonia will cause a fish to dart, shake, swim with its mouth at the surface, almost like gasping for air. Trying to jump out.
Is he swimming with his mouth open at the top of the water or somewhere in the middle. When on the surface, swimming with just the mouth open and very few of the other symptoms, is typically lack of O2. With other symptoms, it is ammonia.
I am new to SW also, but I have been in fresh water long enough to suffocate and poison my fish.
:)

Back