Coral Tips Turning White some Dying off

Crib

Non-member
This is not new growth, it is the opposite dying off.
There is a green slimmer and also a stag that is being taking over by GSP ...:mad:
KH 8
PH 8.2
Mg 1300
Ca I am out of this test, went o TI and was told 260, I have been adding Kent liquid reactor 3 caps fulls in 3 days.
Had a PO4 problem think Its alot better now.
Changed old AB 10K bulb to a XM 15K bulb ran only for a few days, shut it off for the last 4-5 days to try and kill HA and any other variety of HA.

Its been cold in the house also.
tank could have seen 78 to 72 deg.

Any sugestions?
Barry

Attachments

• slimmer2.JPG
    slimmer2.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Stag.JPG
    Stag.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_5062.JPG
    IMG_5062.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
I had an issue once with a slimer when the ca was about 100ppm low....did the same thing...(from the top) What do you normally keep your temp at? I run mine at no more than 76 degrees...(sometimes it dips below 75.....) How long was the temp low? HA issues...hows your ro/di filters?

Sorry for all the questions, Barry...just trying to help ya..
LMK,
B

I had an issue once with a slimer when the ca was about 100ppm low....did the same thing...(from the top) What do you normally keep your temp at? I run mine at no more than 76 degrees...(sometimes it dips below 75.....) How long was the temp low? HA issues...hows your ro/di filters?

Sorry for all the questions, Barry...just trying to help ya..
LMK,
B
Brain, thanks for repling.
60 views and you are the only reply. AMAZING!!!!!!!!

normal temp is 76-80,but with the winter coming upon us I just yesterday turn on the heat. just checked the temp and its at 82:eek:

I did Changed all RO filters and resin about 1 month ago. Had a high Po4 going on, I have now been running a phosban reator and been doing H2o changes.

This dye off is on only some of the corals, but seems to be moving quickly, so any ADVISE would Really HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:mad:

Barry

Brain, thanks for repling.
60 views and you are the only reply. AMAZING!!!!!!!!

normal temp is 76-80,but with the winter coming upon us I just yesterday turn on the heat. just checked the temp and its at 82:eek:

I did Changed all RO filters and resin about 1 month ago. Had a high Po4 going on, I have now been running a phosban reator and been doing H2o changes.

This dye off is on only some of the corals, but seems to be moving quickly, so any ADVISE would Really HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:mad:

Barry

Barry, Your a funny MF!!:) I replied cause I luv ya bro!!;)

Did you have that issue with the tips prior to using the phosban reactor? What are you using for media? How much flow running thru the reactor? Phosban is nasty..it removes po4 too quick....(& I wonder what else it removes...like trace elements etc......Actually wonder what leaches from it as well...) did you presoak the media if you used media..(that is after you rinsed it well.....)

LMK...Have no idea what were looking at here....
Would love to help you....

B

"60 views and you are the only reply. AMAZING!!!!!!!!"

I would have replied but I had nothin to offer :(

I would listen to Brain here :)

FWIW, I have also seen SPS bleach at the tips right after running a bunch of GFO for the first time in a while.

"60 views and you are the only reply. AMAZING!!!!!!!!"

I would have replied but I had nothin to offer :(
I'm sure that's true of the other 59 people... well excluding the bots from the search engines.

My bet would be the calcium. Seems like the most likely culprit.

Any alk swings recently?

Barry, Your a funny MF!!:) I replied cause I luv ya bro!!;)

Did you have that issue with the tips prior to using the phosban reactor? What are you using for media? How much flow running thru the reactor? Phosban is nasty..it removes po4 too quick....(& I wonder what else it removes...like trace elements etc......Actually wonder what leaches from it as well...) did you presoak the media if you used media..(that is after you rinsed it well.....)

LMK...Have no idea what were looking at here....
Would love to help you....

B
I was referring to the number of views with no one posting a reply/ I see so many people getting out of the hobby, and there is a mad link that goes on forever and I couldn't seem to get others opinions, Not because it was you Brian. silly:p
I am using a 2 little fishies reactor with the product called PHOSBAN. I have changed it our twice and yes I rinsed it before using. I think the CA got low.
I need to purchase a new kit. TI doesnt carry Salifert or Elos brand, least I didnt see it there

I'm sure that's true of the other 59 people... well excluding the bots from the search engines.

My bet would be the calcium. Seems like the most likely culprit.

Any alk swings recently?

Hi Moe

Yes I have had a ALk swing. was 7KH just checked and now 10KH. i usually run on the low side at 7KH

Mg is at 1300

Who has either CA kits locally avail?

Thanks

Barry

I am also curious how much phosban you added and if you gradually increased. Alk and temp swings can also have the same effect. I wasn't aware low calcium would do that but I have never experienced calcium levels below about 325-350 and known about it.

I always feel bad when I get a ton of views and no replies... I also would have said something but didn't have anything positive to add...

I was referring to the number of views with no one posting a reply/ I see so many people getting out of the hobby, and there is a mad link that goes on forever and I couldn't seem to get others opinions, Not because it was you Brian. silly:p
I am using a 2 little fishies reactor with the product called PHOSBAN. I have changed it our twice and yes I rinsed it before using. I think the CA got low.
I need to purchase a new kit. TI doesnt carry Salifert or Elos brand, least I didnt see it there

Hi Moe

Yes I have had a ALk swing. was 7KH just checked and now 10KH. i usually run on the low side at 7KH

Mg is at 1300

Who has either CA kits locally avail?

Thanks

Barry

I wasn't thinking it was only cause it was me who responded...I just commented in reference to the comment cause I felt your frustration!!!

Most times when looking for answers in this hobby that can get on a more technical side or a more wide range reason, people tend to sit back due to lack of experience in that particular area...

Ya know...there's not many old time hard core sps reefers left in this club...(well that troll the boards very often.....)

Alk swings will cause sps corals most times to receded slowly from the base....IME Low ca levels for me gave me the same issue as you reffered to above with the slimer.... (My Ca at that time was 320..) (hadn't checked it in over a year...& was only checking it for a reference to another local reefers interest) I'm glad I did!!! For over a year I was just checking alk & that was pretty stable...(don't know why??...It should have been going wacky with that imbalance) Gradually the ca went low over a long period of time...... That is why I didn't have a major issue.

The best advice I can have for you is kill that reactor with the phosban...do some water changes 3 or four days apart for a couple weeks & try & bring that KH down to a more managable reading closer to NSW... But do it slow.... (over the next month to 6 weeks) BTW...you will experience fall out from this....If you have to frag a coral due to RTN do it...It will be your only chance of saving it...(& the chances of saving it are high as long as you clip high enough above the infected area....Make sure if you do you dip it after fragging to disinfect it from the bacteria that is present during rtn. That stuff is like gasoline to fire.....

HTH...

B

Should i be thinking twice about adding a phosban reactor now =/ .

Not very encouraging to see/hear.

Hope everything turns out alright.
Joel

Should i be thinking twice about adding a phosban reactor now =/ .

Not very encouraging to see/hear.

Hope everything turns out alright.
Joel

Most people running GFO do naot have any problems. That said, it is when you start fast and drop the PO4 levels too quickly that you will see problems.

And the one case where I have seen RTN from the tips down from ALK is when you have a quick swing upward. This normally does not occur until much higher alk levels though, when you start getting over 14 or 15dkh.

Yea, IMO/IME GFO is a great thing except when too much is used too quickly. One way or another something can go wrong if you do. My assumption is that it's a shock thing, but I can't say I know that with any certainty.

I would get some hard numbers on Nitrate and Phosphate, Higher levels of either will inhibit calcification in tips ,( if this is the case a slow reduction in levels is in order other wise more damage can be done) Keep your alk at NSW levels 7-8dkh your less likely to have issues and it will be easier to maintain, Watch your fish/inverts cautiously a nipper could be present that you don't realize, Good luck Barry I feel your Pain;) Also in my experiance it takes much time to get a turn around even once the problem has been resolved.

Last edited:
I am also curious how much phosban you added and if you gradually increased. Alk and temp swings can also have the same effect. I wasn't aware low calcium would do that but I have never experienced calcium levels below about 325-350 and known about it.

Hi Mike

yes I have had swings in ALk and temp

Sorry you had so many views and not many replies. Before you jump and call out people you should think about how many times you've looked at something and not replied. Including looking at for sale threads without the intention of buying anything.....we all do it.

I find that when something goes wrong with my SPS its alk to blame. recheck your levels and also SG. Sorry for giving you stale information.

Hope everything works out.

Back