Deep Blue 60G Cube or Marineland 60G Cube?

Andy V

Non-member
I am trying to decide between the Deep Blue 60G Cube or Marineland 60G Cube.

The Deep Blue is tempered and cannot be drilled. It has the corner overflow which is ok, but not ideal for me. It is also rimless which looks great, but I keep wrasses so I will need to add a frame with the BRS mesh screen anyway, so rimless is not a requirement for me. It also has a low-iron glass front panel.

The Marineland can be drilled with the glass holes overflow, which has a much smaller foot print and looks a lot better. It already has the trim around the top where I can fit in the DIY BRS mesh screen. Unfortunately, low-iron glass is not available, despite what their website says.

From the tanks I have seen, the build quality is comparable when you have a good piece. In other words, I have seen some awful Deep Blue and some great ones, but I have only seen good Marinelands. Both use black silicone, which I like.

So the questions is, are there other things that maybe I am not thinking of? And can I solicit some opinions? Thanks!

The deep blue would be my choice over the marineland cube . The overflow and return on the ML make it a pain in the **** to plumb . It's just stupid imho as to why they did that . Yes you can get a glass holes box but have you drilled tank before ?
The corner over flow has it's advantages since it is less of an eyesore .Plumbing is easier since it favors one side of the tank and there is not a lot of wiggle room for equipment . I am pretty sure the deep blue comes in starfire , rimless and drilled . Just don't use the bulk heads ... they suck .
Other choice would be cad lights and i think there is a dealer in RI if your'e up to the drive.

Last edited:
i believe deep blues are a much better price... and i love the silicone/seal work on them much better... much cleaner and better done imo...

Cad Lights suck. I had a friend order one of their tanks. The build quality was atrocious, the plumbing parts that were supposed to come with it were missing, and the MH/T5 combo light that it came with didn't work out of the box.

After months of wrangling with them, they stopped returning his calls and he ended up selling a tank and lights he never used at a 50% haircut. I advise anyone against using that company.

skiptons has another 60 deep blue in stock from last week i think. bought one myself like 3 weeks ago. its a nice thank check it out.

I have a rimless and my Wrasee jumped out, so Ibought the BRS screen, and I am surprised on how good it looks still, go rimless.

I have a rimless and my Wrasee jumped out, so Ibought the BRS screen, and I am surprised on how good it looks still, go rimless.

How do you have it sitting on the tank? Is it just sitting on top of the rim, or did you inset it into some trim? Any way you could post a pic?

Cad Lights suck. I had a friend order one of their tanks. The build quality was atrocious, the plumbing parts that were supposed to come with it were missing, and the MH/T5 combo light that it came with didn't work out of the box.

After months of wrangling with them, they stopped returning his calls and he ended up selling a tank and lights he never used at a 50% haircut. I advise anyone against using that company.

How long ago was the tank bought ? What size was it ? I have not heard or seen too many posts about build quality . CS is hit or miss . I never had a problem talking with them .

I am going to DC to look at a 100 gallon tank . I will inspect it so we will see . If it doesn't work out I guess I will just get a illuminata and be done with it .

How long ago was the tank bought ? What size was it ? I have not heard or seen too many posts about build quality . CS is hit or miss . I never had a problem talking with them .

I am going to DC to look at a 100 gallon tank . I will inspect it so we will see . If it doesn't work out I guess I will just get a illuminata and be done with it .

It was last year and I believe it was the signature series tank

TY ,
I am looking at the Artisan series .. Hope the build is better . I apologize for mis-directing the thread .

Last edited:
At $350 I wouldn't think you would get anything worse than what I have seen from Marineland or Deep Blue.

Back