Derasa and Crocea Clams are here

doog

Non-member
My first clams are in the Crocea is already fully opened and pullses open and half closed. The Derasa is only opened slightly at this point. Any recomandation with the new clams? Feeding? any suggestions are appreciated

To give any recommendations as to proper clam care, we would need to know the size of them. As they grow, they need less phytoplankton and more light for proper nutrition/growth. If they are only 2-3 inches the most efficient method of feeding I've heard is to take them out of the tank, place them in a separate container and add DTs, Phytofeast, etc. In this way, you can target feed your clam and get a high concentration of food to it. Hope this helps getting you started!

Eric

PS- some clams do better on substrate, some do better on rocks. The Crocea prefers a hard substrate to foot on, while the Derasa may be kept on the sand.

What kind of lighting do you have? Crocea needs strong light while derasa only requires moderate to strong lighting. How long has your tank has been running? Clams also requires a mature & stable tank. IME, clams are pretty hardy once they adjust/acclimate to your tank water parameter. Just watch out for pyramid snails. Those are pests that eventually will kill your clams & they usually come out at night once the light goes out.
As Eric said, phytoplankton are suitable food for clam.

clams

tank is only 2 months old but very stable wfor the last month no trates, trites, calcium holds between 430-470 ph steady 8.3-8.4. Sal 1.024. Lighting 3x250 halides, 2x150 blue halides. Crocea on rock sterdy mid way up tank and derasa on substrate.

clams

here they are when bought no pics at home yet

Last edited:
crocea should be okay, but the derasa you're definitely going to need to target feed if you want it to live. Otherwise it will starve, despite all the light it's getting. I found out that one the hard way. :(

Good luck!

Eric

taget feeding

I target feed every day small amount to evryone so that is not a problem.

Back